X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'8" Dominator in good waves

Wondering if anyone has the 6'8" Dominator and how it goes in better waves. Clean 3-5 foot east coast Australia. I'm 196cm and 90kg low intermediate surfer, who loves a bit of volume. I have the opportunity to get one 2nd hand for a great price. Thanks.

I'm 90kg and have the 6'4" Dom in Sydney Australia (ie East Coast waves). I don't think I'd like it that much too much above head high. I reckon 4 foot (8 foot faces) would be its realistic performance limit. Sure, I could probably surf it in bigger waves but I'd really be nursing my turns. So as an eg last weekend I surfed the Dom in up to 3 foot surf (head high) and the Alternator the next day (head high +). The Dom didn't reach its limit at head high so maybe 4 foot (1.5 times head high) would be its realistic limit). That's for a 6'4" though. A 6'8" for a bloke of the same weight would, in my view, have a much smaller performance window, and would reach its limit in smaller surf.

I'd personally be steering you to the next model down (6'6") in Dom or Spitfire.

Comment

In the old forum there is a picture of a guy near 60 years old surfing triple head on a 6'8 dom and he was ripping it up - the dom in bigger surf is stable and fast, it wont want to sit in huge hollow stuff but it will work everywhere else

Comment

608 is pretty big for someone your weight, but for someone who is your weight and knows how to handle volume, you might have some fun.

I would however push you to consider smaller, think 604 and go from there. Seriously making that step to a smaller board that is actually easy to catch waves with and surf is a game changing move!!

I am sure other guys on the forum can attest to what the modern day hybrid revolution has done for them.

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. Just wondering what the drawbacks would be with going a bit big in this shape? Is it just that I wouldn't be getting the best out of the design or would it actually be harder to surf? The 6' 8" on offer is so cheap I don't think I can resist!

Comment

Too big of a Dominator will feel too buoyant, making buttom turns and cuttbacks a bit too skiddish
            You could try to put bigger fins but you will be limiting the board and yourself. The dominator has lots of volume packed in a smaller package.
            Iny case I tried the 6'0" and found it too buoyant and ended up on a 5'10". Right after changed for a spitfire 5'8" and could not be happier (80kgs dry)

Comment

yeah agree with iggy, but its also important to remember that every individual is sooooo different which means one set of preferences may deviate greatly from another. if you grab a cheap 608 nd love it, then SCORE! if its a little too big, at least you figured it out in a less expensive way and you can move down the line from there....

Cheers

Comment

I ride the 6-4 dominator in head high surf no problem, Love that board its a keeper, I have the same weight and height as you. IMO 6-8 is way too fat. You might have a hard time cutting loose with that much floatation. Maybe try the 6-6? if you think a 6-4 isnt enough, dont let length fool you on the dominator.

Comment

Different Strokes

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
                  In the old forum there is a picture of a guy near 60 years old surfing triple head on a 6'8 dom and he was ripping it up - the dom in bigger surf is stable and fast, it wont want to sit in huge hollow stuff but it will work everywhere else
                  The guy Surferireland is referring to is SamtheMan, an older dude, who by all accounts is a very competent surfer. He was surfing his 6'8'' Dom in Indo and by the Photos Sam posted, surfing about 10+ foot face waves, and having a ball. He did have however a large set of custom foiled fins, 5 kilos more body weight and experience.

Your tall at 6'5'' and a quarter so riding a 6''8 would be good as you probably have a wide stance. The volume of The Dom may cause you some problems in bigger powerful surf if your only a Low intermediate stage surfer. However in average waves you'll probably have a blast.

I have started riding a 6'4 Dom and I'm currently about 103kg and 186cm tall. I reckon if push came to shove I coulda got away with riding a 6'0'. They have a lot of volume, and despite the denials, more float than polyurethane boards.

Dominators have great resale, so if you can pick one up cheap, go for it. Ask yourself how often will you be going out in surf bigger than you..lol

If you like volume and being a tall dude also look into the Addvance model in a 6'6''
                  Last edited by IronBuddha; 12-16-2011, 06:24 AM.

Comment

GReat stuff IronBuddah. Thanks for the insight, I concur with your advice.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks everyone, appreciate the advice. Think I'll go for it with the 6'8" and move it on if it's not suitable. I'm used to a lot of volume (ride a couple of McCoy Nuggets at the moment) and just cruise rather than ripping it apart so I think it will be a fun to try it out. Cheers.

Comment

Sounds like a sound plan. Have fun.

Comment

yeeeweewww!

Comment

The 6 8 Dom is way too big for you. The Dom is meant to be ridden smaller. I have a 6 4 and its no problem for me and I am heavier than you. I actually could have gone down to a 6 2 Dom.

Comment

Thanks mate, yeah everyone keeps telling me the 6'8" is way too big, but the deal is done. I get it in a few days and we have an east swell on the way, so I'll report back. Like I said, I'll move it on for a smaller one if it does not suit my needs..........and a 6'6" Addvance and a 6'6" spitfire and a 6'0 potato and a 6'8" Hellfire..................

Comment

Working...
                              X