Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Size question

Hey everyone,

I am currently surfing SoCal semi-mushy surf. I am 24 years old 6'3" 185lb and intermediate surf level in average shape. I picked up a 6'2" Dom and its been one heck of a board. The issue I have is there is just way to much volume. I can catch anything but its really hard to get in on a rail in anything with size. I am now selling the board and looking to downsize to either a 510 or a 600.

The volume on the 602 is 38.1 and the 600 is 34.8 which is a fairly large drop. The 510 on the other hand is 33.5, a very small drop down from the 600. So the question is..510 or 600?

Now we are going into the winter time now and I will be shopping for a wetsuit. I have never surfed in a wetsuit so I don't have anything to go off of as far as weight and whatnot. I have held the 600 and the 510 and to be honest the 510 seems really small, but I am looking for performance.

I would hate to pick up the 600 and have it still be too big.. Im already loosing $200 in the transition.

Thanks for reading,

Ace

I'd personally go the 6'0" at your weight.

Comment

If you're in So-Cal you should have access to demos. That'll give you the best idea. I'd say you could surf the 510, but it won't have the small wave ability of the 600 unless you're super light on your feet.
      If you have another board for when the waves are small and weak then I don't think it's a bad choice, but if you're going to be using it in a range of conditions I think the 600 is a better bet.
      Try and get on a demo though. If you're having trouble tracking one down shoot Chris an email and he'll be able to point you in the right direction.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Ace03 View Post
        Hey everyone,

I am currently surfing SoCal semi-mushy surf. I am 24 years old 6'3" 185lb and intermediate surf level in average shape. I picked up a 6'2" Dom and its been one heck of a board. The issue I have is there is just way to much volume. I can catch anything but its really hard to get in on a rail in anything with size. I am now selling the board and looking to downsize to either a 510 or a 600.
        Ace
        Let me add to your anxiety a little. If you don't like the way your current Dom surfs in larger waves, maybe you should think about another model? A 6'0" Spitfire for example is the same dimensions (volume) as the 6'0" Dom, but they all say it handles spicier waves a little better.

Comment

Working...
        X