Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Firewire and first shortboard, another size query!

Hey all. So currently I'm riding a 6'8" 7S superfish and am looking to downsize. I'm 24, 5'11", 76kg and reasonably fit. I have been surfing for about 3 years now on and off and I would say I'm at an early intermediate level. Never any problems catching waves on what I'm riding now, and once I'm up I carve up and down the face no problem. No snappy top turns or big cut backs yet so think early intermediate is about right?

I surf anything from knee high to head and a half. Head high is about my comfortable limit but like pushing myself out in the slightly bigger stuff. The new board will be for a bit of surfing in Cornwall for the rest of this year and then for next year when I'll be travelling around France, Spain, Portugal and Morocco for a few months followed by another Bali trip then some time in WA.

I like the looks of the Dominator and was originally thinking about a 6'4" but a friend of mine reckons I could go a bit shorter so looking for a few more opinions? I also came across some people recommending the Spitfire over the Dominator. Is this another possibility for me?

Personally I'd put you on a 6'2 Alternator or a 5'10" Dominator/Spitfire.
    At your age and size those boards should be no problem.

I have a friend who is around your size and still pretty much a beginner and he's catching waves and going down the line on a 510 Dominator no problem.

Comment

Wow that's a lot shorter than I was thinking, glad I asked the question! I'm leaning towards either a Spitfire or Dominator because of the fin setup and because I think they will fit my style and ability a bit better. An alternator would suit me after this board or possibly a few months down the line as an additional board I think.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Where abouts in Cornwall are you? Down the Line in Hayle have some demo boards. That's always going to be the best way to see what feels right.

Comment

Ah nice one! I'm in Redruth so Hayle isn't a problem at all. Next bit of half decent surf we get I'll pop down there and try out a 5'10" or a 6'. Part of me thinks it will be a little short initially but it will be so much easier to duck dive so that will make up for it until I am used to riding the shorter board. I'm also leaning towards the Spitfire over the Dominator. It will be my all round board except for when its real small then I'll use my 6'8", and it seems like the Spitfires only downfall to the dominator is in small surf.

Comment

Yeah good choice!

Comment

Got to agree with you there Yellow...thats a big drop compared to what you are used to. My advice would be to go 6'0 or maybe 6'2...keep it in good nick...because you will likely progress pretty quickly and then be ready to drop down to where PRJ is indicating. My concerns with going that small is that you might struggle too much and sell and go back up towards the 6'8 again. Take your time with it and let the amount of surfing and your own progress dictate where you go with it all.

Comment

Yeah there's certainly the option to make a gradual transition, but I reckon at your age and after surfing for a few years, taking a leap isn't so bad. There's usually always something to surf here too so I don't think it would take long to adjust.
                Get on a demo though and it'll give you a good idea of what's going to feel right to you.

Comment

Thanks for more input guys! I think going to demo a board is the way forward, leaning towards a 6'2" at the moment but after a demo I'll know for sure!

Comment

yeah prj!! thanks for the good words.

Comment

I took a 6'0" Spitfire for a demo today after work. It was about head high on the sets, pretty lumpy and fat until it jacked up and dumped on the shore. So not ideal conditions to try out a new board. I got into a few waves but messed up the take off every time. First impressions are that the board paddles well and I can get it into waves. In clean conditions I think I would have had a better surf. I'm tempted to say it's a tad too short for me though. I have the board again for tomorrow so will have another crack at it. The surf isn't going to be anything special tomorrow either though. I may try and demo it again at the weekend when it go's offshore.

Comment

Head for Porthmeor in the morning and I reckon you'll be in for a decent one tomorrow. I hear it was ok there today.

Comment

That's where I surfed bud. It was bang on high tide when I got in though so not ideal! I've got work all week so only have an hour or so after work until it gets dark.

Comment

Ah that'll be why then. I think it was better earlier. I'm stuck in work all week too. The weekend forecast looks fun at the moment, hopefully it won't change like it always seems to these days.

Comment

Fingers crossed! It's about time we had a few days of swell and good winds!

Comment

Working...
                              X