Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fins for Dominator 5'8"

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Firewire Dominator 5'8" to replace an old Solomon Lost/Mayhem SDII (6'2"). Iīm 72kg, 176cm / 31 years / intermediate level and I tried my thruster fin set FCS FG-5S (think itīs pretty much the same as the PG-5). Besides feeling the board very loose in comparison to my old board as expected, I experienced some spinout feeling, mainly when I reached a more critical part of the wave (more suction). At least for two time I felt the board spinning out. I know I have to adapt the board, however this is not my first board and I expected for example that the adaptation was going to be easier than the adaptation to my previous board.

Has this happened to any of you guys? I think this is a fin set problem, but Iīm not sure, thatīs why I kindly ask for your more experienced opinions.

Thanks,

Tiago

P.S. - Sorry for any bad English.

hey tiago,
    it actually sounds like you have decent fins for the board. most likely you are in the position where you have to adjust to the shape. The dominator is wide and flat and has a lot of area in the tail and this gives it a much different sensation than the SD II that you are used to. Don't give up, the Dominator is an incredible shape! You'll love it as you get to know it!

Cheers

Comment

Try a quad set. The Dom always felt better as a quad to me. Too loose as a thruster!

Comment

Thatīs my doubt. Wasnīt a thruster set supposed to hold more than a quad set?

Like Chris wrote before, for sure I will need more time to adjust to the shape. However, I was thinking about buying a set of thruster fins with more hold (like the FCS H-2), or try a quad set (donīt know which model), in order to ease my adjustment to the board.

Comment

The Dominator loves quads
          GMB 5 quad
          TC Aqualine are pretty good too, tried those on my old dominator

Comment

I don't think your dealing with a fin problem. I think it's the classic adjustment from a "High Performance" shape to a "Fish Outline". The wide flatness of the Dominator will serve you well in small and mushy waves, but it requires a slightly different approach when the waves get punchy. For example, a round-house cut-back in the pocket can be tough on a head-high hollow wave, but if you come down to the bottom of the wave, bleed off some speed for a second, and then go straight up and turn off the top, it can work well. It also looks and feels good because you're using the whole wave.

If you're not used to quads, I don't recommend them just yet. That's whole different level of adjustment to make.

Comment

gotta try them at some point though...

Comment

Agree. I'd never ridden a quad when I got my Dominator but it felt right straight off the bat and every time I tried it with 3 I switched straight back to the quad.

Comment

I just bought a dom and iv ridden it as a twin, quad, and thruster in small waves. I like the quad the best. Annyone got a recomendatio of a good quad fcs set under 100?

Comment

I like the k2.1 and stretch sets best

Comment

Hey guys,

Since Iīve two sets of FG-5, I tried a quad set with both side fins to see how it went. For sure the board got more stuck to the water. So, I bought a pair of center fins FCS H-3 Nexus from a friend which used with two FG-5 side fins, and I was able to try them today in offshore 1m waves. Now weīre having fun! I think the "real" quad set helped me getting used to the board. However, next time I want to use the FG-5 thruster set again. Will let you guys know. Thanks for all the advices.

Comment

tiago remember the best quads have smaller double foil trailers. regular thruster side bites are way too big and typically don't have a great inner foil for a quad set...

Comment

Yeah I just experience that recently when I lost one of the back fins on my elevon set and order the rear Large...not quite the same as my old small ones for sure!

Comment

Flat foil rears or 80/20 for drive in small waves, and 50/50 rears to smooth things out and add control in bigger stuff is something I've been reading lately. Makes sense but I haven't really put it to the test yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X