Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to buy a new Dom, what size?

Hi guys

I'm looking at buying a new board for myself before I go to Morocco next year and I'm currently decided to go for the Dom.
    Facts: 24 years old, 85 kg (187 lbs) and 1.84 m (6.04 feet) tall. My physical fitness is rather good, I do a lot of strength training, swimming, cross-country skiing and so on.

I have surfed on and off for 5 years now, but since I live in Norway I don't get to surf that often really. Either I have to drive 10 hours to the west coast, or else I go to southern Europe or Morocco mostly. I think I would characterize myself as "low intermediate" surfer; I do have a 7S Aussie Fish 6'7"x 20 3/4"x 2 5/8", not sure about the volume though, that I do get up on to. I actually surfed a Lost Rocket 6'0 (33 L or so) in indo this summer, but this board was too small for me. I did get up once in a while, but in general I was just paddling for my life and seeing other surfers spraying water in my face. You get it..

I'm thinking of the Dominator as it would do good as a versatile board that I can take out in any conditions. I will not surf larger surf than head high/overhead (just because I don't have the skills), and in Norway waves are often very fat and needs a board which generates a lot of paddle speed. Do you think this is a right board for me? I do have to emphasize that I want a board that will get me many waves!

Any suggestions what size and volume to go with? In Norway I mainly use a 5 mm wetsuit so that should be added to my weight. Im thinking either 6'2" or 6'4". I mainly want to go for 6'2", but I just fear a board that small will impact the wave count. What do you think? I still want a board that feels loose and fun, so maybe the 6'4" will feel to big...? Any help is appreciated

Thanks

6'2" would be the longest IMHO at your weight. I'd actually be thinking 6'0" at your age, but 6'2" is probably the go in view of your caution.

Comment

Volume wise you could go as short as a 5'8", it will float you with wetsuit and everything...trust me!! ;). But if you wanna play safe the 6'0" will be a sure shot
      As far as wave count and taking into consideration the conditions you are planning on surfing the board, have you considered the Potatonator? I think that board would go like a charm in your case

Comment

I had a DM 6.2 and 6.0 and agree with iggy 6.0 is a safe bet but 5.10 is only 1.3 litres less same thickness and very similar width.I think you could go easy with 5.10.
        Good luck....

Comment

Alright, seems as I should decide between 6'0 and 6'2 then.
          Well, I'm taking these factors into account:

The Lost Rocket (6'0"x 20 x 2 1/2 33.4L) was too small for me surfing in just a boardie.
          Dom 6'0" is 34.8L, and the 6'2" 38.1L.

Taking this into account, and that fact that I will wear a 5 mm wetsuit, boots etc, and the waves in Norway tends to be extremely fat, I figure the 6'0" might lower my wave count.

but again I guess the Dom has more flotation and paddle speed than the Rocket. Volume wise I would prefer the 6'2", but do you think that will make the board feel noticeable less loose and do more resistance to turns (not that I do any critical turns anyway..)?

About the Potatonator, isn't that a board for like 1-3 feet waves? I would want a very versatile board that also works in head high pumping winter storms in Norway and in point breaks in Morocco. I guess the added width and reduced rocker may help on the wave catching, but as I see it, the Dom does that job very well too. Any thoughts?

Comment

It's pretty hard to cover all that with one board. I'd use a Dom in Morocco on small days at killers maybe and around the beaches, but when the points are working properly I wouldn't want to be on one.
            If you want something more solid for bigger stuff that still has the lower rocker and width for small stuff maybe look at the Hellfire or Mini Driver.
            If you want something for smaller to medium stuff primarily then the Dominator is a good pick.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
              It's pretty hard to cover all that with one board. I'd use a Dom in Morocco on small days at killers maybe and around the beaches, but when the points are working properly I wouldn't want to be on one.
              If you want something more solid for bigger stuff that still has the lower rocker and width for small stuff maybe look at the Hellfire or Mini Driver.
              If you want something for smaller to medium stuff primarily then the Dominator is a good pick.
              As I see myself as a low intermediate surfer, I do mainly surf small to medium size waves, and I probably wouldn't make it with any type of board for a pumping swell at the points in Morocco. What I'm looking for is a board that is great for small to medium size waves, but also can handle those few days I'm out in the water where it's head high or something. If I later advance to the next level I might consider a more performance board, but for now, wave count in medium size waves is my nr 1 priority..

Comment

The Dominator and Spitfire should handle up to head high fine, just don't oversize toooo much.

Comment

Then go for the 6'0". I'm 85Kgs and got around with a 5'10" Domintor wearing a 6/5/4 wesuit with 7mm boots and 5mm glove on our lovely Canadian winters going as cod as -12C sometimes. Flotation wise the 6'0" will float you plenty. The 6'2" might feel too corky even with all the rubber

Comment

I'd still say 6'0" or 6'2". I don't think the 6'2" would be a disaster at your weight. I surf a 6'4" Dom at 90kg, and it's fine. I've surfed it up to around 1.5x overhead with no dramas. For performance in mid size waves I'd be better off on a 6'2" but there's not likely to be too much in it and the trade off is I'd lose some range for the smallest days.

Comment

I've been thinking about the guys riding bigger doms in bigger waves. I reckon it's to do with the length to width ratio on bigger sizes.
                      For me, on a 5'8" x 20" at 6'0 tall it's a short and WIDE board for me to control at speed on solid waves. But for someone 6'0 and 90+kg on a 6'4" x 21" you've got all that extra rail length and only gained an inch width. So if the volume to weight ratio for the board to the rider then clearly the bigger guy on the longer board is going to have much more success in larger waves than the guy on the super short and comparatively wider board.

Comment

Eivsemb, if you weren't 6 feet tall i would recommend 5'10. If you surf really well 5'10 is doable. Otherwise, go with the 6'0 Dom.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm actually gonna go with the 6'2", despite most of you say the 6'0". The volume calculator at FW also suggests minimum 46L for beg/intermediate and 35L for intermediate for me. I'm better off with 50 waves instead of 20, even though sacrificing a little bit of that loose feeling. If I do actually feel that it's too much volume I can sell it for almost retail price back in Norway (have to import it from UK though, FW is not sold in Norway), so then I just swap for the 6'0". But again, I am pretty sure I will be totally fine with the 6'2". Gonna bring the new board to Morocco in January for 10 days so I will put it to test then :D Thanks again, at least it helped me down size from 6'4" :)

Comment

Good to hear buddy, let us know how does it goes

Comment

eivsemb:

I'm from Norway. There's no shops selling Firewire in Norway at the moment, but there will be (again).There's still a Norwegian Retailer though, and he's got a few boards in stock and can order new ones for you. If you're lucky, he's got a 6'2 Dominator in stock. Check it out: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/de...33#region_list

If not, secretspot.co.uk and boardshop.co.uk is where I've ordered some of my boards from.

I would also consider the El Fuego, maybe a 6'3 if you want about the same volume as the 6'2 dom...

Good luck! :)
                              Last edited by Erling; 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X