X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dominator and hellfire?

I'm finally thinking about getting a firewire but having a hell of a time deciding on which one. I've been browsing around the forum and every time I seem to think I found the board I want, I find another one that will probably work good for me.
    Quick bio.....I'm about 6'1", 205ish and consider myself an intermediate+ surfer. I live in socal and currently ride a 5'10" mini simmons and love it! my other go to board when the waves are decent is either 6'6" red beauty replica and a 6'8" black beauty replica. I tend to ride my mini simmons in most average conditions, depending on where I paddle out. Anyway, I love the mini simmons but I think it is time for another board....

I'm thinking about a 6'2" or 6'4" dominator to cover most conditions and when the waves are good, maybe a 6'4" or 6'6" hellfire. Any thoughts/recommendations?

A dom or a spit + HF would cover you for most conditions. I think the volume calculator would recommend 6'4 dom and 6'6 HF but if you are used to surfing lower volumes you could easily go 6'2 and 6'4 respectively. I'm your weight and use 6'0 and 6'2 in those boards and have no trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the reply slowman. I'm kind of leaning towards a spit/HF combo but I need to go check out the boards to compare. I'm hoping to pick one up prior to christmas.....thanks again.

Comment

I think those two boards are a sound choice. 6'2" and 6'4" or even both in 6'4" would be good. With both in a 6'4" you'll extend the bottom end of the Dom/Spit, and have a sensitive medium wave board.

My only caution would be that both boards sit right next to each other in terms of optimum use. The Dom is a good small to medium wave board, and the Hellfire a good medium wave board. It's because of this close match I think a more shortboard shortboard such as the Alt is a better match to the Dom as there is more differentiation. The quiver therefore covers a broader range of conditions.

Comment

Thanks guys for the replies/info and Merry Christmas. I think I'm going to go for the Dom for now and decide later on what board to match with it for my quiver. Any recommendation on fins for someone my size? Thanks again.
          Last edited by surfea; 12-27-2012, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I'm close to your size. I've enjoyed the PC7, the GAM and K3 fins most. Of those I prefer the K3 but its a close call.

Comment

Working...
            X