Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fin Advice

Hi Everybody,

I just sold 2 boards to get the money up for my 5'10" Dominator, ordering this weekend, and I'm looking to get the ideal quad fin set without "trying out" different sets. A quick background...I'm 28, been surfing for 12 years, learned and surfed for years on the Panhandle of FL (surfed East Coast FL, CR, SOCAL, and lived in NORCAL for a year), I move every 3-4 years now, and I'm an average surfer on my best days. My surfing is generally down the line frontside snaps, floaters, and cutbacks, with backside roundhouses and floaters. I don't have the money to try out fin sets every now and then...newborn and an enlisted Coast Guard salary...and I'm trying to get it right the first time if at all possible. I'm 6'0", 170lbs, and getting in better shape everyday. I'm surfing Northern New England the next couple years if that helps. Any input helps...thanks in advance.

Welcome surferzach fcs or future is your board?

Comment

Fcs

Comment

After testing a number of fin setups, I think my favorite set is the Stretch 5-fin set. I go back and forth with the Tri/Quad setup. Especially on a surf trip where I'm surfing 6 hours a day. Tri fins are good for going straight of the top and breaking lose the fins. The quads are good for solid looping and very rewarding cutbacks. Quads are also good for barrels that run off on you really fast.

Comment

stretch sf4's quad

Comment

@surferzach, I see a lot of guys riding the Dom with Stretch Quad and knubster. I heard Rusty R-2 Quad is good too.

Comment

Thanks for the info everybody....looks like I'm gonna pick up some Stretch's.

Comment

keep experimenting though!!

Comment

I love the R2 quads in mine but I'm 40lbs heavier than you - they might be more fin than you need. The SF4s also go OK for me in my dom in smaller waves - never tried them in bigger waves in my dom. I am talking PC not plastic fins.

Comment

Working...
                  X