Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another size one, what size for a 2 year surfer, 180lbs, lazy

Hi,

I started surfing on a 7'8" egg, then rode a 7'2" hot dog shape for a while.

I'm 5'9" 175-185 lbs, (fatter in winter).

I've been demoing doms over the past few weeks. I know I want one, just trying to narrow down the size. I started on the 6'2" and was able to catch waves, but it wasn't super easy. Fairly easy to paddle, but not as easy as I would have hoped. The next time, I wanted the 6'4" but they didn't have it so I took out the 6'6". That felt too bulky and I dont' think I caught a wave at all, but it was a big day, and I'm a puss.

I'm thinking the 6'4" will be just right for me, easy to paddle and catch waves, and may even work when it gets a little bigger. Thoughts?

I can catch with the 6'2", I'm just not catching much and I feel like I'd do better with the 6'4". I'm not trying to go pro or anything, it's all about fun. What made me think I wanted this size was this video. The guy is 150 riding a 6'2", he says for the extra float, so if I'm lazy (and I am) I think a 6'4" would give me some extra float.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jryRNEfkn2Y

[QUOTE=garek007;16776]Hi,

I started surfing on a 7'8" egg, then rode a 7'2" hot dog shape for a while.

I'm 5'9" 175-185 lbs, (fatter in winter).

I've been demoing doms over the past few weeks. I know I want one, just trying to narrow down the size. I started on the 6'2" and was able to catch waves, but it wasn't super easy. Fairly easy to paddle, but not as easy as I would have hoped. The next time, I wanted the 6'4" but they didn't have it so I took out the 6'6". That felt too bulky and I dont' think I caught a wave at all, but it was a big day, and I'm a puss.

I'm thinking the 6'4" will be just right for me, easy to paddle and catch waves, and may even work when it gets a little bigger. Thoughts?

I can catch with the 6'2", I'm just not catching much and I feel like I'd do better with the 6'4". I'm not trying to go pro or anything, it's all about fun. What made me think I wanted this size was this video. The guy is 150 riding a 6'2", he says for the extra float, so if I'm lazy (and I am) I think a

If your Northeast i have a 6'4" ill give you a great deal on!

Comment

naw southwest

Comment

Based on what you say go the 6'4" for sure.

Good luck and have fun.

Comment

I had a good day last week on the 6'2", a really good day and now I'm wondering if that might be better. I'm thinking that my 4/3 is heavier and more restrictive, and that once I put on the 3/2 it will be even easier to paddle the 6'2" Dom. So question for you guys, how much heavier is a 4/3 wetsuit vs a 3/2?

I'm thinking once I go back to the 3/2 I'll have no problem with the short Dom.

Comment

I don't think it would make much difference. An extra kilo, tops. If you like the 6'2" that's the one to go with!

Comment

Thanks, I still need to try the 6'4" just to do my due diligence, but I'm thinking it's going to be the 6"2"

Comment

Yeah Garek, I surf anything from a top on summer going through a 4/3 for fall all the way to a 6/4 suit of armour. 3/2, 4/3 you'll notice the difference mainly on flexibility. There is a slight difference on weight but to tell you the truth you won't feel it much. I'll stick to the 6'2" idea

Comment

uggghhhhhhhh,
                  Now I'm torn. I finally demo'ed the 6'4" this weekend. It definitely paddles easier and I can get into waves really, really easy. I even went out saturday when the report said poor and the surf was small. I managed to make something out of nothing. But I kinda felt like it didn't turn as well. That could have just been because I didn't catch any waves with any real speed (I also am not good at turning yet). OR, IT COULD HAVE ALL BEEN IN MY HEAD AND I WAS OVERTHINKING IT.

So here's my dilemma.

This 6'4" I took out is a used board for sale. It can be mine for about 330$ bucks, fins and stomp pad included (5 fins). It's in great condition, but it is one of the older models (still has the pressure circle on the top). If I buy this I can buy a used longboard or a fish for really small waves

Or I could buy the 6'2" for a lot more money....

Here is my question,
                  1. Should there really be much difference in the way the two boards turn? Or is it in my head? The 64 is just a little bit bigger than the 62, so it should still be quite maneuverable right?
                  2. Also, how will it hold up compared to the 62 on say, a 6' surf day? Right now I'm not really ready for days like that, and mostly just let the big ones go by. But I'm worried about getting too much board and not being able to surf the bigger waves when I finally man up. is the 6'4" too big for 6' days?

I really liked the 6'4", my fear is just that when I improve, I am not going to be able to turn it as well or surf bigger.

or you could make the argument that if I don't get a board that's easy to catch waves on (like the 6'4") I won't improve as fast....

Thoughts?

Comment

Just based on your weight the 6'2" is the right board. But "right" is what's right for you. The 6'4" is only 2 inches longer and a bit under 3 litres more volume. Bugger all difference. Either way you'll end up with a board that works.

I assume when you say 6' you mean 6 foot faces? Head high waves or just OH? If so either length would be fine. If by 6 foot you mean 2 or 3 times overhead any Dom will start to struggle.

Comment

Buzzy, thanks. What do you mean "bugger all the difference"? Do you mean there's hardly any difference?

Yeah I meant 6' faces (I guess, I honestly don't know how to measure). Surfline had the report at 3-5 feet and I'm not sure if that's measuring from the back or if that's on the face. I know it wasn't 2-3 times overhead.

Comment

One thing i'm worried about too, is gaining weight, how hard is the 6'2" going to be to ride if I weigh 190lbs? I'm just not sure I can stay at 180 forever.

Comment

Yes, sorry, "bugger all" is Austrslian for "not much".

I wouldn't over think it. Each board will work. At 90kg (200 lbs) I use a 6'4" Dom. I find it ideal for small waves. If I wanted more of an all rounder I'd use the 6'2". Bear in mind I've been surfing for 30+ years and surf fairly regularly. As I see it after adjusting for your lesser experience and less frequent surfing either of those lengths would also be good for you.

Go the 6'4" on the deal and pick up a longboard. At the absolute worst in 12 months you'll say " I could do with a tiiiiiiny bit less volume", you'll trade in the Dom for the same price you bought it, and get a new one then.

Comment

Buzzy, good point, thanks. I talked to a guy at the shop who also said that switching the fins out can also make some difference.

I was thinking more of a fish for really small days, unless that's going to be too difficult for me.

Comment

have u thought about trying a different board? if the shop has demos, then just keep going till u find the one that always has that "sweet spot" when u get up. too many variables to get hung up on one type of shape.

Comment

Working...
                              X