X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator vs Hypto Krypto

Been test driving a Hypto the last few days to see what all the fuss is about
    And to tell you the truth
    I still dont know what all the fuss is about
    Don't get me wrong it's still a good board and probably covers a lot of bases for people but compared to the Dominator to the overhead size range. The Dom leaves it for dead
    Where the Dominator tail allows smooth transition and flowing turns the Hypto seemed to stick due to the pinny tail
    The waves I surfed were from 1ft to 4ft on beachies and reef
    Remember this is only just my opinion

Hypto Krypto

Positives
    Felt good jamming the tail into some turns on my backhand
    Maintains good speed down the line due to the flat rocker
    Almost impossible to nose dive off take offs
    Works well in bigger waves

Negatives.
    Too pinny in the tail
    Turns felt forced rather than flowed
    Doesn't suit front footed forehand surfing
    Footwells in deck after a couple of surfs
    Didn't grovel as well as hoped

Dominator

Positives.
    Turns feel like they flow with easy transitions
    Fast
    Grovels well
    Releases with ease
    Covers a wide range of conditions
    All round fun board to ride

Negative.
    Doesn't like bigger waves (not designed for this anyway)
    Lost a bit of color after 4 years ha ha
    Last edited by Wandi; 01-19-2013, 01:01 AM.

Thanks for the honest feedback/review!

Good to know. I am sure others will be stoked to read this.

Comment

Hi Wandi,
      I loved my Hypto. Thought it was a really fun board.
      But have to agree on a overall comparison I would agree that the Dom is a way better board for the conditions - smallish - that most surfing mortals would be riding the boards in. I did end up selling mine as it overlapped with the Dom too much and I didn't get a great enough gain in the areas it excelled in. ie bigger waves, and also the dom is better in the smaller stuff. I even had a 2nd custom done to add some extra volume to help out in the small wave department, however this then lost the best thing about the Hypto which was the feeling or feedback form the rail during turns, which for me was super smooth on my original stock model.
      I actually loved it on my forehand and found it liked to be surfed from a more forward position - standing closer to the thicker and wider part of the board - using the buoyancy to produce the speed and turning around the forward rail curve. It did like a much more relaxed (slow) turning style. Cruising.
      The dom on the other hand is a much zippier board, loves a quick whack to the lip as well as a smooth cutty and is quicker in the small stuff. More so when using as a quad.
      On top of that is the durability of the fst. My Dom is now 3 years old I think. Have they been around that long? And there is the tiniest of heel depressions in the deck that is visible only under your standard csi lab.
      I have always turned my boards around fairly quickly - 9-10 months, and I want a to sell it for a spitfire, just to have a new feeling under the feet to keep me thinking, but I just don't think I can do it.
      Yeah. cant do it. Still frothing on the Dom. Just have to save up the full amount for another board, and I think its going to be the Chedda. But what size.

Comment

Interesting feedback guys - thanks. I was originally eyeing the Hypto Krypto, but I was worried that it would encourage me to surf more off of my front foot and adopt a more cruisy style. Sarge - looks like you confirmed some of my concerns. I'm a happy Dom owner now, and it's really helping me drive way harder off my back foot and develop a more aggressive style (which is my main objective these days). The Krypto still looks interesting, but my next purchase will be a Potatonator haha

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge View Post
          Hi Wandi,
          I loved my Hypto. Thought it was a really fun board.
          But have to agree on a overall comparison I would agree that the Dom is a way better board for the conditions - smallish - that most surfing mortals would be riding the boards in. I did end up selling mine as it overlapped with the Dom too much and I didn't get a great enough gain in the areas it excelled in. ie bigger waves, and also the dom is better in the smaller stuff. I even had a 2nd custom done to add some extra volume to help out in the small wave department, however this then lost the best thing about the Hypto which was the feeling or feedback form the rail during turns, which for me was super smooth on my original stock model.
          I actually loved it on my forehand and found it liked to be surfed from a more forward position - standing closer to the thicker and wider part of the board - using the buoyancy to produce the speed and turning around the forward rail curve. It did like a much more relaxed (slow) turning style. Cruising.
          The dom on the other hand is a much zippier board, loves a quick whack to the lip as well as a smooth cutty and is quicker in the small stuff. More so when using as a quad.
          On top of that is the durability of the fst. My Dom is now 3 years old I think. Have they been around that long? And there is the tiniest of heel depressions in the deck that is visible only under your standard csi lab.
          I have always turned my boards around fairly quickly - 9-10 months, and I want a to sell it for a spitfire, just to have a new feeling under the feet to keep me thinking, but I just don't think I can do it.
          Yeah. cant do it. Still frothing on the Dom. Just have to save up the full amount for another board, and I think its going to be the Chedda. But what size.
          Hey Sarge - bit off topic but how are you finding the Mini Driver at 6'0" ?
          also what fins are you running?
          I'm curious because you and I are similar age and weight.

Thanks

Comment

Has anyone had the chance to give the hypto krypto a run recently? As much as i love my DOM its now too big for me at 34.8l so im looking for something to replace it (if necessary). I think the hellfire is a magic board, i get it out as soon as the swell gets a bit of size to it or if the face is steep. Im finally starting to click with my vanguard but am primarily using it for smaller waves instead of my baked potato. Im wondering if the reason i dont get along with the BP is because i am too front footed, despite my best efforts to centre myself more over my back foot i dont seem to be able to generate the blinding speed the potato has gained its rep for and furthermore i often lose my fins just bottom turning on anything more than mush. I do think part of the problem however is that i went too big getting the 5'5. Is an outline like that of the hypto (forward wide point with a more rounded/pinned tail) going to be more suited to my front footed surfing? And is there any justifiable niche in my quiver for such a board if i was to sell my dom and BP? Thanks in advance!! Will

Comment

nice review. pretty much on point. the thing about comparing boards is, unless u have one of those all-time sessions, u'll always fall back on ur favorite. i like the Hypto. mine is custom at 6'0 x 20 1/2 x 2 7/8 @ 39L. i dont use it much cause i want to see how far the VG and the ADD will take me, but for semi punchier surf at 4'-6'+, its a really comfortable board. easy take offs even when late, nice bottom turns, good speed. i have no experience w the Dom and will opt for a TGBP when it gets to Hawaii which tells u how diverse everyones styles are. if u always believe that u have the right board for ur session, u will always have a great session.

Comment

thanks fokai ! what fins did you use in the hypto and did you give it a go in smaller or grovelly type waves? the last session i had on my VG flicked the switch for me and its a definite keeper ive got my feet position sussed and after the initial ridiculous skateyness ive found the total control/responsiveness i read so much about. BTW thats a great little quote to finish there, youre right a lot of surfing and i spose sport in general is about having the right mental frame of mind, the rest will follow !

Comment

i actually have the HS large in futures. since winter is winding down i will b using the VG primarily at 4' and under. if the waves r a solid 4'-6', i'll b on the Hypto or ADD. i like my Q5, but for me summertime south shore oahu is filled w longboards and sups, so i like having the volume to keep up. i'm also on the lookout for a FSTBP or TGBP @5'7 for the smaller stuff.
                  yea, the mental stuff is really crucial, if u start thinking stuff doesn't work, i feel u lose that "edge" u need to keep surfing well. have u ever noticed how surfers blow a wave and blame their equipment? surf is surf, we cant make every wave the greatest ever, we can only catch one wave at a time. and no, i am not part of a 12 step program. lol

Comment

Good feedback people
                    Keeping things in perspective though I was only telling it how it felt under the feet
                    I wasn't wishing I was on any other board, I was actually stoked to be testing out the Hypto. I enjoyed riding it but I think the Dominator is a better board
                    There was no mental wigging or kooking out in the line up. Some boards gel and some don't.
                    That's surfing
                    Just trying to give crew a bit of info on different boards from my personal experience
                    Last edited by Wandi; 04-12-2013, 04:44 AM.

Comment

thats all good Wandi. everyone has different perspectives of what works for how he or she surfs. like i said, i cant compare w the Dom cus i never rode one and probably never will due to the way i built my quiver. subliminally, i probably dont want to cus i know i wud end up discarding a board or two that i already enjoy riding. lol.

Comment

Gents. This is great discussion group. I need some help on the choice of boards. I am intermediate surfer who gets out about 80 times a year in Sydney. I am 70 kgs and current.y my shortest board is a 6'6 takayama scorpion which is great in the fatter beach breaks where I live. I would love to go shorter, be able to duck dive better and catch waves that are closer to 8 to 10 feet than the 5-6 feet that max out my range right now. I am guessing I am not good enough perhaps to feel the difference between hypto ( recommende by friend when ou in Fiji) and DOM (recommended by local surf shop).. Are there other names I should put in the mix. And if you were and intermediate like me and less likely to throw some spray when hitting the lip. What do I need to get me the on bigger steeper take offs? All ideas are gratefully received... Burkie...

Comment

Those Scorpions look way cool. Is love to own one just for the cool looking factor. A Dom is obviously a choice. I imagine it would expand your wave range over the Takayama and induce you to throw spray. With your feet in the right spot on the board and your board in the right spot on the wave it's hard not to. So a Dom is on the list. You could also go acUnibrow to extend the wave range but I think the Dom would be better. I assume when you refer to wave size you are measuring on the face? Most surf reports in Oz use the "Hawaiian system" where a wave with a 6 foot face becomes 3 foot. So your 10 foot wave is a 20 foot face, give or take . That's way outside the Takayama's capability , and way outside a Dom's or UB's. I think it's safe to assume you mean up to 1.5 to 2x overhead. 1,5x is within the Dom's range, but outside its comfort zone. 2x overhead is beyond the Dom's realistic range. 1.5x is within the UB's comfort zone. 2x overhead is within the UB's range but outside its comfort zone . Surfing only 80 days a year - 1,5x a week, I suspect the additional support of the Dom would be better but 1 to 1.5x overhead (ie when the surf reports call it 3-5 foot) will be its limit.

Comment

Working...
                          X