Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
The next logical step building the Firewire quiver after the Dominator Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next logical step building the Firewire quiver after the Dominator

The FST Dominator is the first Firewire board I've ever owned and after getting it to work and surfing it a bit I like it and I like the FST feel, especially for travel - lighter and stronger, what's not to like? I get the feeling I still want another higher performance board to complement it. For a while I was thinking of getting a Spitfire but I think the Hellfire is probably it as I think there would be too much overlap between the Dom and the Spit and probably not much extra reach, whereas the Hellfire still has some overlap but probably gives you more reach into bigger and better waves of quality and consequence - at least that is what I think I'm hearing from the reviews. What do others think?
    Last edited by Slowman; 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM.

I am in the same situation as you, I have a Dominator(6'2" probably could go 6'0") and just bought a used Hellfire (6'2"). I am going to sell a futura (6'2'") that I have and want to get a Sweet Potato. That way I will have the whole range covered. At least that is the goal.

Comment

Basically the spitfire is a higher performance dominator due to the tail. Is the exact same board from the front fins up as the dominator.
      Hellfire is a healthy choice. Still on the hybrid department with more rocker and a thinner nose. I love my 6'0" for better conditions.Fits nicely on late takeoffs
      The quadra5 could be another interesting option to consider as well.
      I've tried the lost Stealth and was pleasantly surprised.Very responsive, stable, and fun to ride.If you have the chance to try one please do!!!

Comment

hellfire...hellfire..hellfire..........this message brought to you by the Nev Hyman school of thought........
        Last edited by core personal training; 12-24-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
          hellfire...hellfire..hellfire..........this message brought to you by the Nev Hyman school of thought........
          After reading your review, I thought you might say as much!

Comment

jejejejee

Comment

my stock answers to every surfing problem are...
              hellfire...hellfire...hellfire...
              6'2 flexfire...6'2 flexfire...6'2 flexfire... or
              more rocker...more rocker...more rocker...

but this could soon be augmented by....

hellrazor...hellrazor...hellrazor...
              spartan...spartan...spartan...

Comment

yeah all good options. the next board is obviously going to be a function of the waves you are after. I think the dom and potato are a good combo as is the dominator and alternator.....just depends.

Comment

I have the Dom and Alt and they seem to compliment each other really well. The Dom works perfectly up to around the wave height that the Alt comes into play, and you surf them in much the same way.

Comment

I plan to ride the Dom in 1' to 6' and this next board will be say from 3' to 8'+, from 6' to10' I have an Aloha AF2 SLX.

BTW, does the Hellfire FST come with FCS plugs?

Comment

whatever plugs you want..."3 to 8 ft"..i assume you mean face height here..?? not island style?

Comment

Can be ordered with either plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
                          whatever plugs you want..."3 to 8 ft"..i assume you mean face height here..?? not island style?
                          I have no idea anymore! 8' to me is 1.5 overhead, I guess if the wave face is 10' I'd call it 8' I guess to eliminate the shallow curve at the base of the wave. Approximately from beginning of the knee in the curve of the wave face, I guess from where the slope of the tangent would be 30 degrees, if that makes sense. It's not island style but it is not trough to peak either - I learned this way from when I was a kid. Probably best described as from that point where the wave starts to stand up.

Comment

i'm old school..(or just old??)...i suppose that's island style...basically understate the size, and its more a perception of conditions...not purely heights, which are impossible to judge anyway... eg.. head high is 2-3 or maybe 4 foot depending on how heavy it is...and how hard it swatted me...!!!....or what board i'm on...how much i kooked out...or how many times i............you get the picture.... :)

Comment

In Australia at least 3 foot is head high, 6 foot is 2x overhead etc. stupid system IMHO. That's why I mostly describe height with reference to the body ( eg waist high, 2x head high, etc).

Comment

Working...
                              X