X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowing of Dominator

I have had 5 firewire surfboards from longboards to the hellfire. My question is about the yellowing of the FST boards specifically the Dominator I own. It is the one with the vent and was wondering if there is anything I should be doing in ways that I store the board to prevent that from happening? My first generation futura turned totally yellow and was not close to the color I bought it. Just wondering.

Merry Christmas!

Brent

Keep them out of the sun, keep them away from the heat, hot cars, hot garages, hot board bags, (yes inside a board bag gets hot in the sun. ) place a PU board on top of them on your surf rack to guard against direct sun. wash the the salt water off of them after every use. Treat them (any EPS or even a PU board for that manner) like they are Special and they should last a long time.
    I bought two Firewires nearly the same time a year ago and the one I use the most and drive around is starting to shade a slight yellow. The other looks white still.

Comment

Epoxy with naturally yellow over time, but to minimise it keep it out of sunlight as much as possible.

Comment

The yellowing is a normal reaction of the epoxy resin to the sun. Is not a matter of if but rather a matter of how fast.
        The best way to slow down the process is to keep your board on the shadow when not in use.
        How yellow and how fast has it gotten yellow?

Comment

yeah good stuff there. I haven't had much of a yellowing issue with any of my boards yet, though they do trend that way as they get older.

I think in extreme cases, environmental pressures cause that total yellowing. Leaving it on the deck a few times for a couple hours after a session can take a big toll. But I would argue that the sun does yellow stuff to ALL boards, epoxy and PU alike. Something physical....

Comment

Yeah PU blanks yellow for sure. Maybe worse. I don't think the EPS yellows though, I think it's more the Epoxy resin. Not sure if PE resin yellows or if it's just the blank. Probably a good bet that all resins yellow, even clear lacquers found on guitar bodies yellow.

Comment

They do go off white and I find its the more you use them, both my new spud ventless and my dom have done this to fairly equal degree's nothing to worry about though, its not going to slow you down or make you surf any worse?

Comment

its nothing to do with sunshine or heat - Ireland is void of both

Comment

Good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by surferireland View Post
                    its nothing to do with sunshine or heat - Ireland is void of both
                    Ha! So your boards are also yellowing? Or rather a yellow-ish "lighter shade of pale"?
                    Last edited by thisisharmless; 02-12-2012, 04:12 PM.

Comment

good stuff surfer Ireland!

Comment

Working...
                      X