Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator size for someone stepping down

Hi All

Great forum - managed to get a a lot of great information here. Thanks!

So, I've narrowed my choice down to the Dominator, but need to settle size

Background: 41yrs, 6'1", 75 kgs pretty fit with a many years of wave sailing (windsurfers), but very little surfing. Surfing properly for about a year here in Cape Town, about 2-3 times a week. Board 7'8"
    minimal. Surf spot - mostly Muizenberg which is a beach break, smallish (1-3 ft often, maybe up to 4/5ft on a great day), crumbly waves, often mushy. There are however some better spots with bigger, more hollow waves I'd like to progress to with whatever I buy. My level is beginner - On the waves above, I can get onto wave easily, pop-up no problem and make a few big carves... nothing spectacular, but fun

I could possibly go down to a 6'4", but thinking a 6'6" might be better for my experience level and the small wave sizes in my usual spot

What do you think?

@dinarobin,
    Best way is to demo a board if you've never ridden a Firewire before.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks hawaii_boi

Will have to look around town, not aware of any dealers with demo stock down here.

The 6'6 will certainly be easier to start, just note sure if will be able to duck dive it?

Comment

I think 6'6" would be way too much foam at your weight. 5'10" would be ample. Definitely no more than 6'0". If you want quite a lot of foam the Addvance would be a better choice IMHO. You need to surf the Dom pretty close to a volume appropriate to your weight.

Comment

yea. i think the ADD is a board that u want volume and boards like the DOM, SF, and any Potato wud b less than 6'. especially the taters.

Comment

I've already made the mistake of stepping down too far. I got a Potatonator 5'8" which was too small for my ability. I then managed to trade it in for a Activator 6'3" / 37l which is my go to board but I can only shallow duck dive. Now looking at 5'8"/5'10" Dom/spit but you can't rush it, it'll just hold you back.

As a step down I'd say it all depends on your paddling ability. If you are good you can maybe jump down to sub 35l but if you are like me (I'm similar weight), crap paddling in to waves, you need a bit of volume.

Comment

Thanks to all for your advice

Unfortunately not able to demo down here, but I did have a go on a friends 5'10 locally shaped hybrid. Very clear that is too big a step for me.

If money was no object, I would prob get a 6'10 addvance and later a smaller dominator. Anyway, I've ordered the 6'4 Dom. Hoping it will be a balance of accessible for my skill level in short term and not too badly over-volume in medium term.

Should have it next week.. Will report back:)

Comment

Originally posted by dinarobin View Post
                Thanks to all for your advice

Unfortunately not able to demo down here, but I did have a go on a friends 5'10 locally shaped hybrid. Very clear that is too big a step for me.

If money was no object, I would prob get a 6'10 addvance and later a smaller dominator. Anyway, I've ordered the 6'4 Dom. Hoping it will be a balance of accessible for my skill level in short term and not too badly over-volume in medium term.

Should have it next week.. Will report back:)
                How does a larger dominator compare with the addvance? The 6'10 DOM seem to have almost the same volume as the 6'10 ADD. And I expect it to surf almost like a longboard?

I was in the market for a 6'6 Dom or PN in FST but ended up picking up a used 6'10 in RF technology today. Only reason was the price was so low I simply could not resist. I figured I'm better of buying two used boards and then reselling them then getting one 1000$+ board that will be worth 50% of its price after one surf.

Looking forward trying out the 6'10 DOM tomorrow. Im 80kg+ beginner and had the 6'10 ADD before and really liked it even if it felt like it had lots of foam (no duckdive).

Now I'm looking to pick up a used 6'0 or 6'2 PN to complement the large DOM.

Comment

The big difference is the Addvance is designed to work at a higher volume at a given weight. The Dom just has more foam particularly in the tail and a flatter rocker. That will mean that as waves get above the small and soft range it will tend to shoot out from under you and/or you'll just struggle to wrestle the board through turns. That's if its substantially over volumed.

No dramas though - a beginner will typically be surfing small soft waves. As you get better though I don't think a 6'6" or 6'10" Dom for a 65 or 70 kg person will have an ongoing place in the quiver.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                    The big difference is the Addvance is designed to work at a higher volume at a given weight. The Dom just has more foam particularly in the tail and a flatter rocker. That will mean that as waves get above the small and soft range it will tend to shoot out from under you and/or you'll just struggle to wrestle the board through turns. That's if its substantially over volumed.

No dramas though - a beginner will typically be surfing small soft waves. As you get better though I don't think a 6'6" or 6'10" Dom for a 65 or 70 kg person will have an ongoing place in the quiver.
                    Ok, Pretty much just starting my Firewire expedition which is bringing me under my previous short comfort level of 8' boards - mainly Aipa Big Boy Stinger and Big Guy boards, (and logs which I love too).
                    Loving my 604 SP, but it is a little floaty for me. The 5'11" BP seems a little under floaty (selling it to a friend soon). I also recently picked up a 7' Dewey Weber Feather Fastback and am just loving this 7' and under range. Finding them addictive!

A 6'10" Dom just came available and since I don't seem to find any potatonators available I am thinking about picking it up and would like some input/advice.
                    I am 41y/o - 6'1" - 205# and surf regularly (3+ times/wk) mainly south shore Oahu.
                    Wondering how picking up the 6'10" Dom might be compared with the SP, etc. It fits with the recommended range on the volume calculator.

Thanks in advance!
                    Greg
                    Last edited by Tescot; 04-24-2013, 02:59 AM. Reason: adding age

Comment

I'm 47 yoa, around 200lbs and surf 3-4 days a week. I use a 6'4" Dom as my small wave board. Now, to give you an idea of how well it grovels I also have a 9'2" longboard that I used to use for knee high and below days. I haven't used the longboard in around a year. If there's a wave breaking the Dom will catch and surf it.

That's a pointer to its (very small) downside. A 6'4" with me at 200lbs is over volumed. Not by much. And that extra volume is something I appreciate given I use this as my tiny wave board. But if I wanted a Dom to sit between, say, a Sweet Potato and a shortboard in my quiver I'd have the 6'2" for sure.

What's this mean for you at 205lbs? I'd say a 6'4" to 6'6" would be the right length. If you're cautious I'd go the 6'6" but you may Fi d yourself dropping a length or two in 12 months. I'll probably be splurging on some CBD magic and get the 6'3" Dom whenever the current one ends its useful life. I'd like a touch less volume than I currently have but more than is in the 6'2".

Comment

@Tescot... i saw a 6'2 PN FST on craigslist as well as the 6'10 DOM. shud give it another look seller posted yesterday for $500.
                        Last edited by fokaiHI; 04-24-2013, 07:59 AM.

Comment

fokai - Thanks, checking them both.

Comment

Working...
                          X