Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kdropin i'm F511 and 12 and half stone give or take which is around 78-80kg. I've been surfing for 20 years and am no KS but can do most manoeuvres.

Comment

cool thanks

Comment

I surfed the Dom today for what feels like the first time in quite a while. Comparing it to the UB;

* the Dom felt considerably more bulky.
        * the Dom was noticeably less manoeuvre able.
        * the Dom paddled with much less effort.
        * the Dom was way earlier into waves.
        * the Dom had initial faster planing speed.

Overall though they are quite similar boards. On standing up I find the ideal foot position on the Dom is very close to the UB, so transitioning between the 2 boards is seamless. They really are a good match as a quiver ranging from knee high to say 1.5x overhead. While I think the UB is capable of surfing a tad bigger than that, other boards would be better (for me an Alt of Q5).

Comment

great feedback! (still awaiting those picks :P)

Comment

Just after an opinion comparing the Dominator and Unibrow with the Spitfire and Hellfire. My dilemma is making a choice between these boards based on the waves that I get to surf the most. Have been looking at a Hellfire to complement my potatonator BUT Realisticly as a step up board the spitfire is better suited to the waves we get. The Unibrow , spitfire and Hellfire have all morphed from the Dominator but have their differences.
            I know the Spitfire overlaps with the potatonator , however I am worried that the Hellfire might be a struggle in the weaker stuff. Have other non FireWire boards that cover the larger more powerful condition, perhaps I am just procrastinating over nothing.

Done : Have put an order in for a White rapidfire Spitfire, at the worst will decide still not enough of a step up and will add something else to the collection.
            Last edited by Bigblackdog; 04-07-2013, 11:38 PM.

Comment

stoked on all the great feedback and support here!!

On a personal note, i think the Dominator may have migrated out of my quiver because I find the Unibrow and the Baked Potato to have the perfect small wave overlap for me. For me and the way i ride, i get far more performance out of the Unibrow without losing support in small waves.

Cheers and hope this helps

Comment

Hi Chris, I know this a Unibrow and Dominator forum so sorry for getting off topic but it sounds like the potatonator fell out a favor with the TG BP and Unibrow? I can understand why as everyone is frothing on the TG Baked Potato and I loved the unibrow at the County Line demo a few weeks ago. I agree with your thoughts on the unibrow over the dominator.

My dilemma is that I need a groveler to pair with my Hellrazor and I think that I will only have funds for a two board quiver in the foreseable future. I loved the Unibrow but thought that had too much overlap with the Hellrazor and need a board with a lower bottom end (knee to shoulder) . I haven't tried the BP but thought potatonator would be more versatile. I am not too worried about 1-2ft days that the BP woudl be better in. Do you think the Potatonator is the right choice? I ordered the 5.6 Potatonator last week but I can change my mind. I demoed the potatonator at C Street and loved it but I think I over analyze every purchase. Thanks for your honest opinion!

Comment

hey meek i had the potatonator out this past sat in thigh to shoulder race tracks on a negative low tide and the board went great in the thigh high waves. (i tried to catch everything). in the barrel on the other hand i just took beatings.. fun as hell though even with getting drilled into the sandbar in 42 degree water.. ran it with sf4s quad

Comment

Can anyone speak to the differences between the Spitfire and the Unibrow?

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                      hey meek i had the potatonator out this past sat in thigh to shoulder race tracks on a negative low tide and the board went great in the thigh high waves. (i tried to catch everything). in the barrel on the other hand i just took beatings.. fun as hell though even with getting drilled into the sandbar in 42 degree water.. ran it with sf4s quad
                      Thanks kdropin! That is just what I want to hear and glad you had a good session except the frigid water...and I thought the water was cold here in the low 50s. I didn't expect the board to thrive in the barrel but it is always worth the try. Hopefully spring comes soon and brings warmer water.

Comment

Thought I saw somewhere on the forum that the unibrow was available in white rapidfire. Can anyone confirm if that is true??

Comment

Hey Bigblackdog,
                          Off the cuff, white rapidfire is going to take a hit in lieu of the TimberTEK build because that is in more demand at this point and it is a far more unique tech than RF, which has been around for a while. The day will come where you can special order the Unibrow in RF and RF-WHTE but for the time being, that one is being primarily released in FST and TimberTEK.

Comment

Hey Meek,
                            Yeah you will get more versatility going down to the Potatonator than you would with the Unibrow when coupled with the Hellrazor, but i think your mall wave board should be a function of wave quality. To kdropin's point, if your small days are knee to shoulder high punchy surf, then you should go Unibrow all day. If, however your small days are typically smaller gutless knee to shoulder beach break, then the Potatonator would be the way to go...

hope this helps

Comment

Hey Chris,
                              Thanks for getting back to me and I agree on the wave quality. It is hard to say what is perfect for someone with the limited information available but I think the Potatonator was a good call. I wanted something for smaller beach break days that don't have a ton of punch. I am still adjusting to riding a board such a wide tail but I am having a blast and think it is going to help me surf of my back foot more.

I hope that I can squeeze a unibrown in my quiver sown the line. How are you liking your 5.10? I rode the 5.9 and loved it at County Line but I think the 5.10 would have a bit more drive in smaller days. Cheers!

Comment

I just thought I'd chime in with some observations about the cross over point for these two boards. I've had the week off doing some study but I've also got in a surf every day,, and I've surfed the Dom and UB the bulk of those days (all but one I think).

Today is a classic example. Those of you in Sydney will be able to relate. I turned up to Bondi pre dawn and watched the surf for a few minutes. I saw a head high set break and thought "Unibrow it is". So out it came, and the Dom stayed in the car. Now, there are occasional head high sets, but between them it was fat and waist high. So the first few waves, which I could still surf mind you, I was thinking "I should have surfed the Dom - maybe I should go back to the car and swap". Then I got a set and thought "you beauty...UB it is". While both boards will have worked on those chest to head high waves, once the UB is up and going its a more precise board.

I stuck with the sets as the crowd grew, until it grew beyond 8 or so on the peak and drop ins and general frantic mayhem ensued. I kept on thinking at that point of going in to get the Dom and focus on the waist high ones. I found a spot though where the waist high ones were a bit more powerful and...kerbam...the UB remained the better board.

My take away? The UB is a definite Dom replacement in that chest/head high range, even if the waves are fat. No great controversy there I guess. At waist high if the waves have some push both boards will go but I'd personally choose the UB if it can get up and going - it's just a more performance board. Waist high and fat or below is Dom territory all the way.

I reckon where you'll be in two minds with these boards, as I was today, is in flattish waves in that waist to chest range. Both will work but the UB will struggle more on the smaller fat ones, whereas the Dom will be less responsive on the bigger ones.

I'm totally reinforced though that it is super easy to transition between these boards - you surf them in basically the same way.

Comment

Working...
                                X