Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Warning about going to big with the dominator (or any other board) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning about going to big with the dominator (or any other board)

Complete beginner here. Early 30s, 80kg+, started learning surfing very recently and have been trying a lot of different boards. Mainly big and lots of volume as all your read on forums is "dont start on a short board, start on a long board" .. "and if you muuust have a shorter board, get a big fish".

Anyway after playing with some mals I tried a 6'10 addvance (58l) and was surprised how easy it was compared with longboard. Impossible to dive and had me panicking on bigger days but worked great to learn to popup and try to turn.

Had to sell it due to relocation and since then I have been trying to find something that would replace the addvance. Did not want to buy the same board twice so ended up with a 6'10 dominator (54+ liter). Felt alright compared to other boards but nothing special. Surfed a few times and really struggled with getting out on bigger days or taking faster waves.

After reading up on the board I decided to go back to the Addvance. Maybe a 6'6 is what i needed. More rocker. Down to 48liters..

However putting my stats in the volume calculator I always came up with 50+ ranges for my experience,age,weight... so 48liters seemed like a pretty good challenge.

Went into the shop the other day to get the addvance and the owner instantly started trying to sell a new White Rapid Fire Dominator.. he had a strong opinion that a 6'4 with 41liters would perfect for me.

Have to admit I was VERY sceptical. Dropping from 55liter to 41 would be almost losing 1/3 of the volume. I would struggle. The only reason I finally decided to get the the 6'4 DOM was that the he agreed to swap it for the ADD in 3 weeks if I really hated it.

Result: On my first two sessions .. pretty crap condition 3-4ft.. I did catch more waves that I have in past few weeks. I'm simply amazed.

My theory is that the big boards .. after you exceed a certain "required" amount of volume for easy paddling.. actually dont paddle easier but worse. Possibly something to do with how high and 'corky' they sit in the water and makes the wave flow under the board instead of giving it the 'push' that I'm now getting on the much smaller board? Note that this observation is completely from a beginners perspective.

TL;DR : Complete beginner, got a big board due to forum advice and fw calculator :), Struggled, went down almost a 1/3 in volume and now more stoked then ever!
    Last edited by snowcrash; 04-13-2013, 06:31 AM.

im happy for u that u found the board u feel is suited for u. ive said on other posts that i have no experience w the Dom, but i have much love for the ADD. i ride anything between 5'10 and 6'10 depending on how i want my session to go or what type of wave determines if i shud ride a poly or epoxy. this is not meant to disrespect any Dom lovers out there, but the ADD catches way more waves, bigger waves, and is as maneuverable. please keep in my mind that im comparing a Dom @6'4+ w any ADD. dont take this the wrong way, but as gain more water time, u'll go smaller w ur boards and understand why people tend to ride bigger boards. wave count is very important in having fun. no waves, no fun

Comment

Have used the volume calc for each FW
      so far and found it pretty spot on. Havn't ridden denominator either but have got a activator which I oversized. By one size 609 instead of 607 as I wanted it a a step up

Comment

Wrong button.......
        for up to 2x overhead which it performs and paddles superbly. Same with my other 2 FW's. Even with the vanguard, it was spot on which I could confirm with a demo. Calculator had my bottom limit at 39L which was a 6'0" Demo'd one at that size which did work but a harder paddle. Purchased a 6'2" which at 43L was in the middle to upper suggestion and was spot on. Guess it won't work for everyone but a good guide for many.

Comment

Yeah well, as a complete beginner I reckon the Addvance is a much better choice than a Dom. The Addvance is designed to be ridden at much higher volumes relative to one's weight than a Dom. At 80kg even 41 litres is quite a lot of foam in a Dom - it'd be fine but still quite a lot. By contrast the Addvance is designed to be ridden with more foam. I personally think a bit more surface area would help a typical adult beginner which would mean a 6'4" Dom would be an inappropriate choice.

Having said that there are various shades of beginner and some beginners are more atheletic than others. But I'd personally put an 80kg beginner on, firstly, a beaten up mini mal around the 7' to 7'6" range, and then an Addvance at 6'6", and from there transition to whatever direction takes your fancy (6'0" Dom or Spit being a good obvious choice).

Comment

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the site and would really like to ask what your thoughts would be on my next size and board. I'm thinking either the Dom or Spit for my go to board for anything 2ft+ 90% beach breaks. I currently have a JS Peer Pony 5'8 which is awesome for the small days but trying to get an edge once it gets to about 3ft plus is challenging so i just need one more board for the quiver. I'm a northern beaches local and i'm 5'10 and 86kgs intermediate surfer with good fitness?

Comment

I dont think you would go wrong with a spit. Plug your stats into the vol cal and go for the middle volume between the high and low and the board should be sweet.

Originally posted by Peach1 View Post
              Hey Guys,

I'm new to the site and would really like to ask what your thoughts would be on my next size and board. I'm thinking either the Dom or Spit for my go to board for anything 2ft+ 90% beach breaks. I currently have a JS Peer Pony 5'8 which is awesome for the small days but trying to get an edge once it gets to about 3ft plus is challenging so i just need one more board for the quiver. I'm a northern beaches local and i'm 5'10 and 86kgs intermediate surfer with good fitness?

Comment

Working...
              X