X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• knubster 5 fins

First surf on a quad felt very twichy. Did some research found the knubster, makes the board track better and removes the twich.

Copied the fcs design using an old future centre fin.

Surfed this morning its like best of both worlds.

Im 90kg wett 510 dom

@rledesign,
    I heard a modified Deviant (shaved down to knubster size) works better than the Von Sol and TMF knubsters.

ALOHA!!

Comment

picture of knubster

surfed it again this afternoon and i'm sold on the 5th fin it makes it more stable and i dont lose any speed turning or down the line

here is a picture of the fin

rledesign.com.au/knubster.jpg

once i refine it a bit more by making it thinner it think it will be really good

Comment

a few of us made knubster fins of our own, I tried a few different shapes. It's all here: http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...ay-knubster%29

Comment

@Slowman, awesome fins!! What did you use to grind it down?

ALOHA!!

Comment

@hawaii_boi, g'day! I used a small hacksaw to get as close to the shape as possible and then used a gyprocker's sanding block to foil it and refine the shape. (what you call drywall in the US, we call gyprock here in Australia)

Comment

How thin are u making them.....?

Comment

If you can find an MR TX rear fin they are perfect thickness. I never tried foiling down the width of something like a GYU or M3 - just seemed like too much work better to start with something like the MR TX (sorry I only know FCS). I did foil one for a friend in Futures and it seemed quite thin like the MR TX but I don't know what it was to begin with.

Just measured; the MR TX are 6mm thick and the normal ones are 8mm. While I think the thinner ones are better I made a few using 8mm and can't say I noticed any real difference between 8mm and 6mm (of the same shape).
                Last edited by Slowman; 05-01-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

I have found better results with a custom cut and foil with traditional fin shapes. Not a big difference, just subtle. Been meaning to do another, a bit smaller than the one shown in the Activator
                  The rainbow knubster in the vanguard is a fair size larger than the original knubster and I will be adjusting that. All my custom 5th fins have been in FCS so haven't any spares in futures yet for experimenting.
                  Attachment
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking knubsters!!!

I love the speed of a quad but feel get more stability with a thruster... Looks like i need to give the knubster option a try.

Is there a particular type of surf that you guys like for the knubster.... or is this your go-to set up for most conditions?

Comment

For the boards where it works (my Spit and HF) I just leave it like that all the time. Though I actually suspect the one in my HF is so small it makes no difference, it is only about 20mm high.

Comment

For me, anything over shoulder high I have it in. Under that, depends on fins and board and wave. Leave it out for bit more looseness, but if steep enough for some snaps etc then I have one in as a pivoting point. Certainly feel the difference.

Comment

Agree with @Denchy...it works better when there is a face to work with.
                          Denchy, you should make a knubster out of the Deviant fin! I've been hearing great feedback about it.

ALOHA!!
                          Last edited by hawaii_boi; 05-02-2013, 12:37 AM.

Comment

There's a thought, mmmmmmm. FCS only though. Would have to dust off the non-vanguard boards which is futures and would therefore be unlikely at this stage. Having too much fun on it!!

Comment

Working...
                            X