Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator or Spitfire

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the site and would really like to ask what your thoughts would be on what would be best in regards to size and board. I'm thinking either the Dom or Spit for my go to board for anything 2ft+ 90% beach breaks. I currently have a JS Peer Pony 5'8 which is really fun for the small days but trying to get an edge once it gets to about 3ft plus is challenging so i just need one more board for the quiver. I'm a northern beaches local and i'm 5'10 and 86kgs intermediate surfer with good fitness?

Spitfire will give you tighter turns and can be surfed a little bit more aggressive than the Dominator. Both boards share the same genetics,main difference is from the fins back

Comment

So what size would you suggest?

Comment

Peach1, check out the 5'8 to 5'10 spitfire. However, a better choice now would be the Unibrow...maybe a 5'10 to 5'11.

ALOHA!!
        Last edited by hawaii_boi; 05-08-2013, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback hawaii_boi! Would you run with a thruster or quad set up on the Unibrow then?

Comment

Peach1, I personally haven't tried the Unibrow yet but ive seen quite a few boards using 5 fins (quad + knub) on the Internet. Maybe someone in this forum or Chris can chime in on this question.

ALOHA!!
            Last edited by hawaii_boi; 05-08-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I have the unibrow. Completely agree that it is a better choice than Dom or spit for what you seem to be looking for. I use Dom up to head high and unibrow from shoulder (good shapers waves) to head and a half. Currently only tried it as a quad having thought I would prefer it as a thruster. It goes really well as a quad- fast, smooth, predictable, climbs the face well, pivots with ease. I've tried stretch quad set and scarfini x2 quad which is pretty much the same as pc5 quad.

Comment

I rode a quad in my mini driver for a long time and loved it, and since the unibrow is similar (but not the same) I can't see it being bad as a quad. Get one of the 5 fin sets or a thruster set and a pair of quad rears so you can test both out. For someone your weight I'd try the fcs MF-1 and if you ride it as a quad the g-1000 rears (those would be the rears from the mayhem or k2.1 quad set) you can order those individually through your local shop. Or you could try smaller rears for a looser feeling but I liked the mf-1 with the mayhem rears.

Comment

Originally posted by Peach1 View Post
                  So what size would you suggest?
                  5'8"

Comment

I'd look at the 510 or 511 Unibrow, if you've got a Pier Pony for the smaller stuff the UB will give you a broader range as I find even the Spitfire feels a bit flat, wide and clunky in head-high surf or even chest to shoulder-high if it's steep and punchy.

Comment

I agree a Unibrow or Hellfire or even a Chubby Chedda would be a better choice for what you have in mind. Belly button high and below is when i tend to use my Dom now. Above that its Unibrow all the way.

I'm not an awful lot heavier than you and surf a 6'4" UB. I suspect I'm older though (I'm 47). All things considered I reckon a 6'0" or 6'1" (is there a 6'1" - not sure) UB should be on your radar.

I surf thrusters mostly but really like the Parko Kinetic Racing fins. You could get some QPX or similar trailers and have a good quad/thruster set up.
                      Last edited by buzzy; 05-09-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

prj, a 5/10 Unibrow for an 86kg intermediate surfer???? Thats only 5 liters more at 30.2 ltrs than the best and fittest surfer [arguably] in the world who weighs 13kgs LESS and would probably be on the 5/6 @ 25 ltrs. [His average volume is 24 ltrs, probably more for his average wave, Unibrow equivalent boards.] I would argue that an intermediate surfer needs at least 5 ltrs MORE than Kelly rides at the SAME weight, let alone someone who is also approx 20% heavier. Sitting in the lineup up to your armpits in water, watching everyone else catch waves when u can't is no fun at all. It also won't turn an intermediate surfer into an expert. Wave count matters. What also matters is the planing surface of the board. If u overpower your board during a turn because it does not have sufficient lift [pushback] under your feet, all it will do is bog and slow down. I reckon a 6/1 Unibrow at least. I'm 83 kg and on a 6/4 and it has only felt too much volume in head plus Indo reef power.

Comment

Yeah I agree, 510 was prob a little low. I think with a board already dedicated to smaller conditions there's no need to go huge on the UB though.
                          I don't know the volumes off hand, but but I'd have thought the 600 or 601 max.
                          My sizing was based off going same size to an inch longer than a Dom/Spit which is what I and others seem to be riding.
                          Apologises for the low ball.

Comment

No worries prj, I'm pretty familiar with the zone because of my weight and the fact that i have had Dom, Hellfire, Unibrow, Flexfire, Potatonator and Alternater all in the same range. I find a 3 liter volume range is about max for me before I am either majorly under volumed or over volumed. Under, I'm getting tired early and missing waves, over, the board is too corky and loses feel and response once up and riding. 1 liter either side of my optimum volume range and it's all over Rover for me. Thats why I sold my P/nator @ 40 liters. I'm kind of the un-official Firewire guru at the local beach and have put about a dozen people on the right [at least that is what they tell me!] board/volume combos for their style and level of surfing. Have to admit that I have a personal bias towards more volume rather than less tho!
                            Last edited by Piha Local; 05-10-2013, 07:21 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                            X