X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size dominator?

I'm a beginner to intermediate surfer who lives in San Diego. I currently ride a 9' longboard and I really want to get on something shorter and more high performance. I am 6'1" 160 lbs and looking at the dominator. The firewire volume calculator recommends a 6'2" dominator. I hope this board would work for all around small summer to head high winter swell.

Would this be the best size for me?

Thanks

It is big for your weight but as a transition board would be ok. I'd have thought you'd ultimately be looking at a 5'8". I'd actually suggest starting on a 6'0". Much bigger than that and I think you'd struggle to control the board at speed (or even duck dive it).

Comment

Incidentally I'm 200lbs and I'm likely to add a 6'2" Dom to my quiver.

Comment

I am 5'11, 188 lbs, and having a 5'8 Dom. Unfortunately it is a bit too small in terms of volume as I sink quickly when loosing speed. However it is ridable, but the 5'10 would have been the better choice for me.

If you are 160 lbs the 5'8 should be fine.
        Last edited by jenzee; 05-24-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I tried to reply a while ago but it didn't take. I'm also in San Diego and got a demo board (5'6" Dominator) from Clairemont Surf Shop. You might also want to try before you buy - see the FW website for all the local dealers who have demos.

Comment

Working...
          X