• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator in small waves

Hi everybody,

One question for Dominator owners:

How the Dominator goes in small waves?

The dominator is a great small wave board. It depends on how small you are talking, but I would say that thigh to head high are the conditions that board was made for.

Comment

Very fun board for smaller waves

Comment

I think that is what all the responses will be, but since you ride higher volume boards gizona, look at this board as having a higher capacity for performance.

Cheers

Comment

I've ridden mine from 1' to 6' and it goes well in all those sizes. 1' waves can be fun if the shape is right but if it is at least 2' the board usually goes quite well. Where this board is a real advantage over a normal short board is in fuller waves, it will make the most of them, catch them easier and get going faster. At the same time if it gets better and the waves get hollow, say as the tide drops, it still goes well.

What I have found though is with the flex in better waves, in a hollow section, it can accelerate out from under you, out of a turn, so you have to be ready for it. If you put some force into a turn and flex the board as it springs back you get a noticeable squirt of acceleration. Once you get used to it you can use this "squirt effect" to get you in position in the pocket to get down the line quickly or attack the lip. It's more noticeable in better waves but I'm sure it's still helping in the smaller mushier stuff too.
          Last edited by Slowman; 01-06-2012, 08:07 AM.

Comment

At the size I ride mine it goes great in not much above zero to head height. No doubt it would surf bigger waves fok but I use a different board for that. If it's below thigh high I pull out the longboard, but from say thigh high and above I'd head to the Dom until it reaches head high.

Comment

Loved the organic feeling of mine or as it was said...the squirt acceleration jejej

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                Loved the organic feeling of mine or as it was said...the squirt acceleration jejej
                Yeah it's like turbo boost. It might get a bit out of control in very sucky waves... I've had mine skip around a bit when there is a bit of size or power. It can get a bit too fast but that's what makes it so good for smaller waves and a great summer board.

Comment

Thank you very much for your comments.

I love surfing my addvance but in small waves(1 to 3
                  feet)i feel a little bit slow,maybe the sw will be a right choice for the future.

Cheers.

Comment

Gizona, I ride it waist high to head high. great carver in mushy slower waves. I adjust my stance to hollow waves, I have gotten a few barrels on it, I stay away from the super steep face late drops, then again at my age, I dont like to fall. Its more difficult (it can be done) to do a hard snap with the thicker rails and wider tail. Throws some buckets though if you figure the sweet spot during a hard carve cutback can even rotate the tail into a slide. I ride this board the most due to the crowds, ease of paddle, average surf size and conditions where I live. It gives me an edge without sacrificing the performance especially in mushy waves.
                    Last edited by Fritzkat; 01-07-2012, 02:32 PM. Reason: add on

Comment

Sided mine yesterday when I expected chest high surf and took the Dom with me, to discover head high to 1.5x head high hollowish waves. The board went absolutely fine. No skipping, skittering etc. I surfed badly but the board was fine. Normally I'd use the Alt in those conditions.

Comment

Did you change the fins?

Comment

Yeah, I changed over the basic fibreglass 7's for PC7's. Oddly it seemed to make a real difference. I still haven't tried out my info fin controllers yet though!

Comment

yeah a fin quiver is SO key....
                            good stuff buzzy!

Comment

The Dom was borne for that stuff, waist to overhead, not so good on big hollow stuff but still can cope.

Comment

Working...
                              X