X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size Dominator for me?

I am 6'5" 225lbs and currently surf a 9'0" Flexflight 99% of the time. Been surfing for 20 years or so and grew up surfing short boards....with age, college sports, etc I put on the extra LBS that made me switch over to the longboard in the sh*tty central orange county CA surf we have most of the time. Now wanting to get back on a short board since I basically surf my Flexflight like one anyway....dont spend much time on the nose. Anyway, what size would you recommend? Looking at the 6'8" Dom but also would love the float of the 6'10" coming off the flexflight. Suggestions? Thanks!!!

For sure it will be a transition period to get used to a smaller board. The Dominator packs quite a bit of foam. Have you considered the Addvance,this board will ease your transition tremendously allowing you to perform at the same time.A surprisingly maneuverable board for its dimensions.
    If your heart is on the Dominator and considering that you are coming from a longboard, I think the 6'8" could be a good choice. The thing is that once you dial this board you'll find its going to be a bit too bouyant and you might want to shave some volume.
    If I were you I would check the Addvance as well

Comment

I agree with Iggy. I reckon an Addvance would be a better pick at this stage. Then as your transition to short boards (as opposed to high performance short boards) becomes ingrained then look to a Dom or similar board. If you do go with the Dom then a 6'8" should be great. I surf the 6'4" at 200lbs and I think it's a great volume for my size.

Comment

Yeah I concur as well!! Check the Addvance again and if it still doesn't float your boat, then look towards the larger dominator sizes.

Cheers!

Comment

Hey nfs80, I have the 6'8 Dominator and I'm just under 6'5 and 200lb. It floats me EASILY and I could definitely have gone smaller. That being said, I'm loving the board as it catches anything and is very capable in any of the conditions I have attempted. I'm not a ripper, I like to cruise, so take this advice on board or not. I'm guessing you would be OK on the 6'8 after a little adjustment time. Hope this helps.

Comment

If you like to cruise and want to go short you could always try a 6'2 / 6'4 sweet potato - especially if wanted erxotic
            ic

Comment

Thank you all for your input... Will let you know what I go with and how it works. Thanks!

Comment

good stuff!

Comment

nfs80 - your initial thread hit me like a ton of bricks. I'm in the same boat as you and ride my HP epoxy long board the same way...all on the tail and trying to ride it like I used to ride short boards. Same issues with family, job and being an athlete.

I have ridden the 6-6 dom and being 6-2, 250lbs I wanted a little more rail in the water. I'm looking at the 7-2 addvance, saw the 6-10 dom but think for what i want to do I'm best served with the 7-2.

Interested in finding out what you decided on & good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X