X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator dilemma

Hey everyone. I'm looking to pick up a dominator and need some advice. I've learned a lot reading through the topics on this forum, but I'm still undecided on the right size board for me. I'm 6'2" 175 lbs and currently riding a 6'10" Addvance. I'm probably on the intermediate side of the beginner/intermediate category and feel like I'm ready to step down a little. I'm thinking about either a 6'2" or 6'4" board. One local shop here (south shore Oahu) has both in stock, and the owner is pushing me towards the 6'4" for a less drastic change, but that seems contrary to what most think here that the Dominator should be ridden closer to the ideal volume for my weight, which is probably more like a 6'0". Anyway, I keep going back and forth and would love some more opinions that might sway me one way or the other. Aloha!

the smaller u go will always be equivalent to skill and strength of paddle. i wud say u cud go smaller if u surf uncrowded breaks (if there is such a thing) or u know ur crowd. i tend to ride my smaller boards when its early morn and go bigger in the PM. it depends on the swell as well. the south will rise fast by tue and the DOM wud work well in Waikiki or Wailupe thru China Walls, but the beach park wud b pitchy. for me, BP all day tomorrow, new secret weapon by tue and the 6'10 ADD when i finish w the evening sessions. u might consider a Potato. it complements the ADD very well. btw, my secret weapon is basically an ADD at 6'0 w a round pin.

Comment

• Tescot
      Tescot commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your idea of switching to bigger/longer boards as the crowd increases! Gonna have to use that one!

The 6'2" should be ideal at your weight. I'm 200lbs and find the 6'4" toward the upper end of my range. Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
    X