X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator Size

I am 170lbs and 5'9". I'm an intermediate+ surfer but now only get out a few times a year. I'm in good shape but as you can imagine my paddling fitness sucks. I'm trying to decide between a 5'8" and a 5'10" dominator and wonder if the 5'8" will give me enough paddling power or if I should go with the 5'10". I've heard some suggest I go with a 6'0" and others suggest a 5'6". I currently own a Channel Islands Flyer - 6'1"x18 3/4"x2 1/4" @ 27L and it's just too much work to get into waves for my paddling fitness. Any suggestions?

I think either would be fine. The 5'8" will have 31 litres of volume, and the 5'10" 33.5 litres. Both are considerably above what you presently have. You might be guided by the waves you intend to surf in. If it's all going to be weak, small, crumbly surf then go the 5'10". If you want more of an all rounder for a wider range of surf (up to say 1.5X overhead) go the 5'8".

Comment

Buzzy, thanks for the quick reply. Generally surfing anything from 2 ft. mush to shoulder high with an occasional head high + day. Do you think I'll notice a big difference in the paddling ease between the two? This is my main concern. Any idea how to describe the difference in paddling ease between 31 litres and 33.5 litres?

Comment

5'6" would be perfect. 5'8"will definitely help with the paddle issue

Comment

5'6" would be 1.4 litres of additional volume from what I'm currently riding (CI Flyer) and the 5'8" would be 4 additional litres. I worry I won't notice paddling improvement with only the 1.4 litres. I'm just not sure I have a good frame of reference for how much 1 litre vs. 4 makes. Any ideas?

Comment

I'd definitely get the 5'8" based on your comments. A 10% or so change in volume will be noticeable. A 1.4 litre difference carries a huge risk you won't notice the difference except in subtle ways which will defeat the purpose of the change. I cross referenced the volume calculator which puts an average fitness 170 lb 30 year old intermediate on a 32-36 litre board. You don't say your age butgiven 30 is pretty middle ground I think you can get some comfort a 5'8" isn't going to be over volumed. I think it will be about right.

Comment

I'd go 508. With the 506 you'll mostly have the boards design features assisting your paddling whereas the added volume of the 508 will be enough for noticeable assistance. For someone only getting out a few times a year, I think the 5'6 is not good advice. Intact the 5'10 might be a better call for that reason. But the 5'8 will be a big improvement over the Flyer and still allow you to surf it more aggressively. The 5'10 will feel bulky unless the waves are small but will be a wave magnet. Try and hold both in the flesh and see which feels right.

Comment

Thanks for the good advice. This is really helpful.

Comment

@ashmarlin, the 5'8 is fine. you just need to get more reps. BUT if you are surfing weak junk waves the 5'10 won't hurt hehe.

ALOHA!!

Comment

I get the impression if I were surfing 2-4 times a week the 5'8" would be the board to get. Since I only surf maybe 6 or so times a year it sounds like the 5'10" may be better.

Comment

The 5'10" will work better in smaller waves given your surfing frequency - it just won't go as well as wave size increases. I think one of the difficulties we all face as keen surfers in giving advice is its hard to put ourselves in the position of someone surfing 4-6 times a year! I know I've been out of the water for relatively long periods and I know how much in those initial stages extra volume aids in paddling/wave catching. Sorry to be so vage, but basically the choice is 5'8" to cover all wave ranges you have in mind, paddle appreciably better than your current board, or 5'10" which won't be as good as wave size gets to head high plus, but will provide ample support to you in smaller waves.

Comment

Working...
                      X