beginner surfer, need advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner surfer, need advice

Hey firewire community, Currently 155-160 pounds,17 years old, and am 5'9 Skill level is at a beginner level as I started surfing not too long ago, started taking lessons and picked it up fairly well. Currently surf in santa cruz, california and am looking to transition into riding shorter boards. Currently ride foam top boards but would like to start to transition so I can improve. It may be a struggle buy I think practice will help me out. What boards and size recommendations would you guys give me? Thanks to all! GAbe

Dominator is a very user friendly board to consider.How beginner is beginner for you?. At 17yrs you'll still gain weight and this board you might want to keep on your quiver. What are you currently riding?

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
      gabe0306@gmail.com commented
      Editing a comment
      Ride a foam top board and a mini mal. Notbsure what size but probably around 8 ft
      Pretty easy boards to ride. And my skill level is a beginner as in I can catch waves, but I would oike to transition to shorter boards, thats why I was looking into the dominator.

Any size recommendations?

• gabe0306@gmail.com
      Editing a comment
      Ride a foam top board and a mini mal. Notbsure what size but probably around 8 ft
      Pretty easy boards to ride. And my skill level is a beginner as in I can catch waves, but I would oike to transition to shorter boards, thats why I was looking into the dominator.

Any size recommendations?

Ride a foam top board and a mini mal. Notbsure what size but probably around 8 ft Pretty easy boards to ride. And my skill level is a beginner as in I can catch waves, but I would oike to transition to shorter boards, thats why I was looking into the dominator. Any size recommendations?

Comment

5'8" will definitely helpvu transition better. 5'6" you would be able to keep it longer but transition could become a bit steeper

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
        Editing a comment
        Would the 5'8 still provide me enough float so paddling wont be such a struggle? With my stats mentioned above, the board would be about and inch shorter than me

Would the 5'8 still provide me enough float so paddling wont be such a struggle? With my stats mentioned above, the board would be about and inch shorter than me

Comment

For sure!! My old 5'8" used to float me more than plenty and back then I was 85Kgs. You're sitll very young and your paddle will only get better.

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
          Editing a comment
          Sounds good iggy! Thanks for the help!
          Cheers to you !

Anytime buddy

Comment

• Phill
          Phill commented
          Editing a comment
          That's a big drop in length. Certainly do-able but will take a lot of adjustment and effort to transition.

Agreed Phill,but considering he is only 17...

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
          Editing a comment
          As far as fins go...
          wwhatwould be a good list of futures fins and a good list of fcs. I got . Few in mind but id pike your opinion

The Marzo's thruster o r my avoriges, the SOLUS on the FUTURES department

Comment

The WCT for loosness but if I were you I would look at the Marzos

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
            Editing a comment
            Sounds good iggy!

Was also looking into investing for a Potatonator for the smaller days. What ssize would you recommend on that board? A 5'8 as well?

Pnator might overlap a bit with the dominator. I would get either or , for the really small stuff I would look into the baked potato but later on when you have dominated the dominator. The thing with the sweet/baked potato is that they are high volumed board which invites you to go way shorter that would normally go on a regular board, otherwise they feel waaaay over volumed.

Comment

For the pnator you'll be looking at a 5'4" and that decrease in length will be too much, you would end up not liking the board

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
              Editing a comment
              What aboutth unibrow? I heard itssimilar to the dominator. Would this also be a good option?

• gabe0306@gmail.com
              Editing a comment
              And for the baked potato what would I be looking at in sizing? This is for the future when ive dominated the dominator

It will be as well but all those three boards come from the sa,e common root of thinking, they are similar in their distinctive different ways

Comment

• gabe0306@gmail.com
              Editing a comment
              And for the baked potato what would I be looking at in sizing? This is for the future when ive dominated the dominator

Comment

Its all gong to depend on the skills acquired and your wight by then, @160lbs you coud go as low as 5'1" but would that shortage in rail line would work for you? That is the question. Remember these boards should not be overdimensioned otherwise you would not enjoy the full potential of it

Comment

Working...
              X