X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner on Dominator vs Spitfire vs Activator

Originally I was thinking Addvance but seeing the boards and reading more and more I'm thinking one of the above.
    5'11" 170-175lbs in excellent shape.
    Not a lot of time surfing but I kitesurf a lot and ride 5'8" and 5'11" boards with the kite.
    I can get up and surf on beginner boards but want to take the next step towards a shortboard.
    I'm thinking of one of the boards above in a large size, 6'8" to 6'10".
    Would that be appropriate?
    Is one of the boards above better than the others in the larger sizes?
    Would smaller be doable and better?
    I ride the NC coast, mainly southern OBX and Wilmington.
    There are so many choices ... If I can narrow it down I'm going to try to rent/demo the board to confirm things.
    Thanks
    Tony

I'd say the activator out of those but still think the addvance is a better choice. It's a board that is designed to be ridden at high volume. The others not so much.

Comment

I was at OBBC on Saturday looking at boards and discussing options but the guy I talked to did not suggest the Addvance but was pushing the Dominator although they did not have it in a larger size. I notice that they have an Activator 6'9" on sale for $499 in FST construction.
      Why is the Addvance only offered in RF construction?

Thanks for the response.
      Tony

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the addvance would get heavy in FST due to the length and thickness in the rails.

Yeah, ver

Comment

Yeah pretty heavy indeed, but I'm still wondering why do you want to go so over dimensionrd on the board?. What are the conditions over there like?. An Addvance 6'6" will suit perfectly, very user friendly board yet maneuverable, high wave count

Comment

• tonyg
          tonyg commented
          Editing a comment
          The volume calculator puts me on a big board. I'll see if I can test out the Addvance 6'6". Thanks for the feedback. I'm hoping to pick up a board that can help advance my skills and get me to a shortboard and one that I'll want to keep around.

• Slowman
          Slowman commented
          Editing a comment
          TonyG, any age over 35 and the volume calculator becomes overly "generous" IMHO.

Your best bet will b a demo but be confident the Addvance will take you on that path very comfortably. And you'll be keeping it in your quiver If you want to try a Dominator go for the 6'2" max, that will be a keeper as well

Comment

If you want a 6'8" to 6'10" board at 170-175 lbs you absolutely have to get an Addvance. No disrespect to the shop guy but a Dom or Spitfire or Activator will be ridiculously overvolumed at that length (whereas an Addvance is designed to be surfed at that volume). Of the three other boards I think you should be guided by aesthetic preferences more than anything. All those boards have the same origin (the Dom) and at your ability level I don't think you'll notice the subtle performance differences. I like the Dom because (a) it's the one I bought (b) I think it looks the best and (c) I like round turns. If you like Swallows go the Activator and if you like Diamond tails go the Spit. As I say though I think you'd be better off on an Addvance, and then get a 5'10" or 6'0" Dom (or similar) in 12 months time.

Comment

I am the same height and weight as you and I have a 6'6' Addvance - It will work for you all round- I agree with Buzzy get something more performance in 12 mths time.

Comment

Addvance +1

Comment

Yeah agreed with buzzy there

Comment

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the 6'6" Addvance is THE clear winner. Hopefully I can get one of these boards on the water soon. Any advice on fin selection? I just want to be ready when it comes to laying down the cash so I get the right fins.
                  Thanks
                  Tony

Comment

What kind of fin plugs are you going to get, FCS or Futures?

Assuming FCS, go for a K2.1 tri-quad set in PC, the difference between plastic and PC is like chalk and cheese.
                    Last edited by Slowman; 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X