X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator in FST or White Rapidfire?

Got the chance to buy a 5'8" dominator in Rapidfire or FST. My other FW's are FST and I like them but always interested in any feedback on both.

Thanks

FST is the superior tech in my opinion. RF is lighter but FST is a lot stronger and has a smoother flex and nicer dampening (in my opinion). I find RF feels more like a standard lightly glassed EPS/Epoxy board whereas FST has it's own feel and flex pattern.
    There's others on here who much prefer the feel of RF, but for me if the board is available in both constructions, I'm picking FST. If you like your boards super light with a very snappy response then you'll love RF, but be prepared to sacrifice a fair bit of durability on the rails and bottom.

Comment

Pretty much agree with Phill here...FST smoothly distributes that springy feel throughout the board. RF feels like it has more pop, due to its lightness. FST will be more durable than RF which is important to note (depending on how long you intend to keep your boards). Personally, I like RF technology on my small wave boards and FST technology on my better wave boards.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

JSCRam try to get an FST model as much as possible. it's more durable and "flies!"

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks guys. Will buy one.

Comment

FST for larger wave boards - RF for small wave boards (RF is considerably lighter than FST) in small surf you want the board as lively as possible.

Comment

• Josh BL
              Josh BL commented
              Editing a comment
              I basically choose my boards that way, but of course, with VG the RF also works well I've found. RF is lighter than FST.

- Firewire Intern Josh

How much is 'considerably' ? I weighted FST and RF 6'0 PotatoNators using my bathroom scale and both weighted in at about 3.3 kg (No fins, but grip and wax).
            Last edited by snowcrash; 10-22-2013, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I don't think they are really much lighter at all. I think difference could be in the weighting of the board in different areas. The FST carries more weight in the rails, so the swing weight is further out and wider, where as the RF with the carbon rods the weight is more centralised.

Just my opinion. I haven't seen anything scientific to back this up.

Comment

I weighed an Sweet P FST and the same board in RF the FST was 10% heavier - must be others here who have actually weighed them not just giving their opinion.

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah I weigh all my boards. Rf is lighter than the newer FST boards. Some of the older valved FST boards were crazy light though. My older 6'4 Flexfire is 2.3kg.

Firewire doesn't really specify RF versus FST weight because boards are hand sanded and laminated so they are approved within a range. Therefore comparing two boards here would be different than comparing 2 boards there. Generally speaking though, RF is a lighter tech but only by a relatively small margin.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Working...
                X