Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator or Unibrow

Hi Guys

I'm a beginner/intermediate 73kg, 47yrs. My biggest issue is paddling in to waves, I dont seem to have quite the strength to paddle like I should anymore. I've got a 33L Dominator already that is my favorite board but I'd like to go down to 31L as its a bit big for me to deep duck dive.

Should I go for another Dom/Spit or go for a Unibrow? It would be for 4ft-6ft waves. Ive got a HPSB thruster already thats 6'4"x 19" x 2 3/8", I think I might be struggling because its got quite a bit of rocker.

Unibrow would be good, especially if you are keeping the bigger Dom. If you need to shift the Dom first, dropping down a size could be a safe bet as you love the board.

Comment

4-6 ft is not dominator.. thats getting into the upper end of the uni as well

Comment

My local point break always seems to have rogue set around the 6ft size even on a 3ft day. I'd say maybe 3-5ft is more accurate plus its an aspiration, my normall size is prob 2-4ft but I need to get out in the bigger stuff more regularly

Comment

You might consider a CC if you're looking to surf 4-6ft waves. But since you already have a thruster, if you want something different, the Unibrow would be a good option. Take out the Unibrow on the 3- 4ft days and your thruster for when it gets bigger.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Unibrow would be the way to go. I'd suggest in the same length as your Dom. I find the UB perfect from around waist to 1.5x overhead. It easily surfs 2x overhead (and likely more) but its not its ideal range. I'm super confident a UB will cover your intended wave range and purposes.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, how much harder is the Unibrow than the Dominator paddling in to waves? I guess a touch harder because ther isn't quite as much volume but not much?

Comment

I was just swapping between the Dom and UB this week in small waves, so I have a recent comparison. I'm 90kg and surf both in a 6'4". That makes the Dom around 40.5 litres and the UB around 37.3 litres. The UB is just a touch later into waves and plows just a touch more when paddling, but it's barely noticeable. I still catch the same waves I paddle for and still surf them. As I say the UB is maybe a touch later into a small wave, and the UB is a bit more precise when up and going. You'd only notice the difference if you surf both in small waves. Once the waves have a bit more push the paddling differences wouldn't be noticeable at all, and that's when you'd be pulling out the UB anyway.

Comment

Time to get the order in, thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X