X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please to stop dom sliding out

Im 80kg intermediate 15 years experience been riding 6'2 dom for last two years about 80% of the time, surf at as a quad with FCS SF4 fins. I find when I push really hard on a cut back on my backhand that the inside fins let go, the board slides out unexpectedly and I fall off. This usually happens when completing the first part of the cutty as I am getting back to the pocket and getting ready to change direction via a foam rebound. So if you like almost at the halway point of the 'S' turn for lack of a better description.This problem is worse in steeper/hollower/bowly type waves. Is this a rider issue, tail issue or fin issue?? I am hoping it is a fin issue if so how do I remedy ? More base, length, area or sweep in the fins and what ones front or back??? Any advice appreciated as I am getting sick of blowing good waves.

hi dandan,

this is a common issue with people on these boards. can come down to a few things. Mostly, it's because your foot isn't far enough back over the fins. However, from what I can tell the board is too big for you. I'd ride a 602 DM and I'm 100kg. I think you should honestly look at a 510 or 508. This will help you sink the tail and the rail a lot easier, especially in better waves.

As a short term fix, why don't you try putting in a set of thrusters like PC5's and see how that goes? On my spitfire I always (well, often anyway) switched out to a thruster set in bigger waves.

Comment

Maybe try GAM fronts and Sf4 rears.

Comment

It happens to me from time to time in a steep bowly wave even with PC7 fins in. Essentially it seems to happen when the board is hitting the top end of its optimum range. I ride a 6'4" Dom incidentally at 90kg. I assume this is happening in slightly bigger waves? I'd suggest looking to get a next step up" style board for when the conditions get a bit better - maybe for that shoulder high and up range. I find the UB is a perfect nearly seamless transition from the Dom as a next step up. I do agree the 6'2" is maybe a touch overfoamed for your weight but I'd be suggesting a 6''0" - maybe a 5'10". For me though the problem is better solved by getting a more refined board for bigger, steeper waves.

Comment

dandan it could be the fin size and/or the tail on the board. I'm not sure how big the waves you are catching but buzzy makes a good point too. Unibrow is the step up to the Dom.

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies some good comments there.

Justo I don't think the board is too big for me. I am 40, always in fullsuit and gloves/boots/hood in winter and not the greatest paddler, especially after a couple of hours. I really like the catchability of the 6'2 I have a 6'0 spitfire and really notice the difference paddling into waves and also find it a bit boggy on the slower fat sections, still have the same issue with blowing the tail out and prefer the 6'2 Dom. Foam is your friend unless you are a pro! I am mostly riding in 2-3 ft ( waist to head high)and the problem only happens in the critical bowly pocket sections, even in 2foot waves. Justo u are right at 4 foot (1.5x head high) I change to pc 5 thruster, (unless wave is fat) and the problem goes away. However I don't like thruster set up below 4 foot as I find it too slow and tend to hang up a bit on some take offs. I really think the dom goes better as a quad - for me anyway!

Phil I have played around with fins a bit and swapping the sf4 fronts with pc5 helps a little bit. I put some Q1 in the rears and this made more difference but slowed the board down a bit and made it a lot less manouvreable or less looser. I am hoping someone might have some advice for quad fins that will give good hold but still be manouvreable. I will try your suggestion.

Buzzy I really enjoy your posts and am also a big fan of dom/alt quiver I break out the alt when it is over 4 foot or grunty 3foot. However, I am still trying to find that refined step up board that paddles in as well as the 6'2 dom. I have a 6,4 hellfire and find it doesn't have the tail blowing issue but it is limited by its wide tail in hollow waves and doesn't paddle in as well as the dom. I sometimes even find my alt to be a bit wide in the tail, especially in tight backhand barrels. I am big fan of 6'2 futura but don't surf it much now as it just doesn't have the paddle power. Was considering the 6,6 jacknife as it has refined rails and nice rocker but the wide tail puts me off and I already have too many firewires!! Bit wary of the wide tail on unibrow and its upper wave size limits and how well it may paddle?. I bought the hellfire after everyone on the forum raved at how well it paddled and how easy it was too catch waves and make critical drops and to date I havent had that experience but have had some good surfs on it but think that the aforementioned qualities are overrated. Anyway am still wanting that elusive step upboard that paddles well and performs!!! In the meantime just trying to dial in my dom a bit better as it is my 1-3ft go to board.

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Try a little knubster in there too. I found that helped a lot in my Spitfire. If it improves it a little but not 100% it could be worth making your own 5th by grinding down a fibreglass fin for the centre and experimenting until you get the size/feel you are looking for.

• H.S.O.
              H.S.O. commented
              Editing a comment
              Minidriver

Hmmmm, something else you can try it with a thruster and a deviant rear fin. This will give you the speed and looseness you're looking for, but the hold and predictability of the quad.

Comment

i have nothing good to say about the stretch quads other than i like the rears. i think everyone is on the same page that u shud run bigger fronts for drive and hold. other than that, maybe find a squash tail like the CC or a smaller round pin like the MD

Comment

Thanks fokaiHI what you are saying makes sense in regards to larger fronts. When you say larger should I be thinking more base or more height or more of both and what about sweep/rake?

Comment

• Phill
                  Phill commented
                  Editing a comment
                  rake is what's going to give you hold, or at least more tip area.

• fokaiHI
                  fokaiHI commented
                  Editing a comment
                  more base always seems to b what i look at when buying fins, then rake depending on where i'll surf those fins. i've leaning towards the carbon fin set ups like tech flex and cargo tune. i like the stiff base and medium flexed tips. i think just by changing the SF4 w anything will b the difference. for what ever reason, my style of surfing doesn't suit those fins. it always feels like i have to stomp them in the water too keep them from sliding all over. whereas, i have no problems w flat foiled fins.

I was having similar issues with my DOM always used it as a thruster and loved it but wanted to try as quad but all the fin setups I tried had issues with side slips till I put the nobster with the SA fins that changed the feel now I love the Dom as 5fin setup it has drive and hold but still very maneuverable in the lip and pocket!!

Comment

I don't think you will solve the issue completely with fins. I had a 6'2" Dom at 95kg's and had the same issue. There was just too much tail to sink the rail! I remember catching every wave that came by but wished the tail was thinner, more refined so I could just sink the bloody rail in a turn. Mate I think it is a case of downsizing the Dom or smaller Unibrow. Good luck

Comment

Your style of surfing may be more progressive/ aggressive, requiring you to be on a board with a narrower tail. The Dominator is a hybrid board, especially when riding as a quad, that is meant for small to medium sized waves. Hard cutbacks may, as a result, cause the board to slip like you mentioned. The knubster is a good suggestion from Goanna if you're set on going with four fins. Otherwise, maybe stick with the thruster setup or start looking at a board that is more performance-oriented to give you that hold in your turns.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

ok thanks might look at a mini driver. does anyone know the md nose/entry rocker compares to the hellfire and how the compare in general paddling around the lineup , and which one paddles into waves easiier??

Comment

I can't help you there but I reckon the MD has a good chance of meeting your needs. It's all a bit trial and error but its definitely got more performance attributes while retaining some hybrid elements. I've gone for the UB over the MD but in planshape both boards are very, very close to each other. Rail shape and foam distribution is quite different though.

Comment

just by looking at outlines and foam placement, I feel the MD would paddle around and into waves VERY easily. Lots of forward volume, especially under your chest. The tail is more refined than the UNI, lending it to have more control in the critical part of the wave and be more usable in well overhead waves. The down side is, because the tail is thinner and narrower it will have less lift, so in fat, sloppy, or slow waves it won't go as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X