X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And for bigger waves?

Hi guys I have a DM in quad configuration and im very happy with it in small waves (knee to overhead). I would like an other board to winter waves. Which board do you recomended to me? Thank you very much!

Round tail Alternator? Mini Driver? HellRazor? V4? Flexfire?

Comment

Thnx Phill

Comment

It depends on what kind of ride you want and how high performance.

Comment

How much bigger? I use the Unibrow as a step up from the Dom and love it. That would be great up to 1.5x overhead, and ok to 2x overhead and a touch more. I've also had an awful lot of time for the Alternator. When I had a 2 board quiver I had that and the Dom and it was an easy transition between the two. I now use a Q5 which is super close to the Alt except it is a swallow tail with a 5 fin option. That might be another choice. Finally the Mini driver may be the go, although while it has a similar outline to a Dom I gather it surfs differently. I've certainly noticed those who love the MD typically don't ride a Dom in smaller waves. From my experience I reckon the Q5 would be the go. It's a proper short board with a 5 fin option with easy transition from a Dom and will cover any feasible wave range. Downside is you'll need to wait 12 weeks after ordering.

Comment

Great information buzzy!! Thank you very much. IŽll see Unibro and Q5 but i prefer a round tail like Unibro.
            I need a step up board from the Dom to bigger and stronger waves in winter Phill. Ath this moment i only have one board in my quiver .. Dom is a great board for me but is not enough for overhead and more high and stronger waves. How much size accept the Dom for your opinion? Thank you guys and excuse me for my english level. I accept other opinions for my second board.

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I'd surf a Dom up to shoulder high really, head high max if it was soft.
              I think heavier guys on longer boards can use them in bigger waves, but for me, a fat and round 5'8 doesn't hold in on bigger and stronger waves like a 6'4 version might for a heavier guy. I think the Unibrow would help a little but I'd see it more as a Dom replacement than a step up. I'd look at the most refined performance hybrids or the performance shapes.

The Dom can surf up to around 1.5 times overhead being nursed through turns, but I agree with Phill its realistic performance limit is around that shoulder/head high level. I surf the Dom as my really small wave board, meaning arouind the waist/chest high level I transition to the UB. I then surf the UB up to around 1.5x overhead. Then I turn to the Q5 for head high to 2.5x overhead which is the absolute limit of my cojones. Obviously there's a bif of cross over between these boards. i wouldnt get overly fixated on the tail shape issue - the best board for the niche is more important than tail shape. having said that the UB will work provided you dont propose to surf it much above 1.5x overhead. indeed, if that's your limit the board would be ideal. There's film of Timmy Reyes using a UB in well above 1.5x overhead waves, so while its a groveller it isnt limited to just that.

Comment

The Dom can surf up to around 1.5 times overhead being nursed through turns, but I agree with Phill its realistic performance limit is around that shoulder/head high level. I surf the Dom as my really small wave board, meaning arouind the waist/chest high level I transition to the UB. I then surf the UB up to around 1.5x overhead. Then I turn to the Q5 for head high to 2.5x overhead which is the absolute limit of my cojones. Obviously there's a bif of cross over between these boards. i wouldnt get overly fixated on the tail shape issue - the best board for the niche is more important than tail shape. having said that the UB will work provided you dont propose to surf it much above 1.5x overhead. indeed, if that's your limit the board would be ideal. There's film of Timmy Reyes using a UB in well above 1.5x overhead waves, so while its a groveller it isnt limited to just that.

Comment

Timmy on the UB
                http://vimeo.com/61495720

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

There's also this one, which I thought was him surfing a UB and the waves on occasion are pretty substantial; http://vimeo.com/63224403

Comment

Working...
                  X