Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with next board

Hi,

I was searching for the perfect board last year and found the Dominator. a 6'2" was probably the right size for me then, but I found a used 6'4" at a fraction of the cost and so I went with it. It served me well for a few months and I loved it. On bigger days, something just felt off about it, like I couldn't get into the wave early enough. So I started rethinking my search and ended up with a 5'10" fish that I absolutely LOVE. It catches earlier and easier so I can get up on the wave sooner and fix my trajectory better. So I thought to myself, I'll use this fish for anything from 2 all the way up to 5 and beyond that I'll take out the 6'4" dominator. Well I took it out today and it still felt like I couldn't get in early enough. Part of it was just me being a pussy and not going for the wave I think, but still, on the fish, I just feel like I can get up so much earlier and that gives me more confidence to get into the wave. With the dom, I always feel like I'm late and if I don't time it perfectly I'm going to get swallowed up and crushed. But fishes aren't meant for overhead surf right? I thought maybe I needed a smaller dom, like 6'0", but now I'm not sure. Maybe I need a different board outline entirely. what do you think?

Go for a board with a bit more entry rocker but flatter mid section. This will paddle well but give you the confidence in steeper waves. Look at a Hellfire or minidriver , unibrow tons of performance but not to much like a Hpsb. They each have rave reviews and are well covered on the forum.

Comment

Thanks, I'll check them out. I find that the fish is much easier to paddle. I think it has more volume. but it may also have something to do with the widest point being forward of the mid-point. Would a short board with a wide point forward of the mid point work well in overhead surf? Or with performance, does it all go back to the hpsb shape?

Comment

So after reading up, it looks like I might want to try the unibrow. For my ability, do you think I'd be okay with a 6'1"? I have a 6'4" dom now and I'd be cutting the volume by about 7 litres, but I've always felt my dom was oversized. Will that size Unibrow work on overhead days???

Comment

Working...
        X