Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post
    saxman1
    Do you find that your rusty quad set back fins make your dominator looser than other back quad fins?
    I do feel like it is looser than say my old Simon large set. I used to run the Simons in the front with SF4s in the back to loosen it up. I feel the rusty set is a great blend of drive, hold and looseness. The whole knubster center fin thing is really a game changer for me though. It is making me take a second look at what I want in a quad set up. I might start running my SF4 set with the knubster or try a set of K2.1 with the center fin. Bottom line for me though is the Rusty set suits my style on the Dominator very well. I have yet to give them a go on my quadraflex but I will as soon as I get it back from the ding repair guy.

Comment

On the Dominator 6-4 RF (with futures fins) I had tried the stretch quad set (w/4.0 rears)and found it had too much hold to do loose tail-out snaps on small waist to shoulderhigh fun waves. (I sold that Stretch set)
      I inserted the sidebites (@3.23 rears) were a little too loose, not enough hold when bottom turning or a quick pump for speed. they worked fine on a different board that is now broken already I am saving those fins for my kids.
      My V2 F4 fins (w/ 3.75 rears) did not have not enough drive for a small wave. I might combo those into something else or (I am saving those fins for my kids.)
      My Tim stamps quads (w/4.0 rears) work great down the line, but dont loosen up enough on the tail slides

I have not had the chance yet to ride the Rusty quads (w/3.85 rears) or combo them on the Dominator this season. Being the tail is wider i am experimenting with the rear fins to see what works best on the dominator and other boards. the Rusty Quad rear might be the answer. I am looking for drive and that quick release of the tail on the playful waist to shoulderhigh waves.

I am going to try the Rusty Quad set (the 4.54 fronts have alot of hold) or combo with the Rusty rears (4.0 rears) with the Stamps front fins (4.46 fronts) or the upright AM-2 (4.79 fronts) that big fin drive which may give more release.

I have not figured out how the knubster fin fits in to a fin setup and what combo to even start with.

Originally posted by saxman1 View Post
      I do feel like it is looser than say my old Simon large set. I used to run the Simons in the front with SF4s in the back to loosen it up. I feel the rusty set is a great blend of drive, hold and looseness. The whole knubster center fin thing is really a game changer for me though. It is making me take a second look at what I want in a quad set up. I might start running my SF4 set with the knubster or try a set of K2.1 with the center fin. Bottom line for me though is the Rusty set suits my style on the Dominator very well. I have yet to give them a go on my quadraflex but I will as soon as I get it back from the ding repair guy.
      Last edited by Fritzkat; 03-16-2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Attachment Brother on his 5'10 Dominator
        Attached Files

Comment

Bet you guys have had some insane waves from this swell. We've had a week straight of clear blues, warm weather and headhigh to slightly overhead offshore waves, but I bet it's been pumping in Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritzkat View Post

I have not figured out how the knubster fin fits in to a fin setup and what combo to even start with.
            Start with your loosest quad set, and work from there. Then you'll at least know in which direction to head (looser or stiffer). When it works right you should notice some extra drive, speed and control, without necessarily making things stiffer (well at least that is my experience with my custom made stabiliser which is smaller than the knubster).

Comment

Rode my 508 DOM at a couple feet overhead in thruster setup. No problem with sliding out on the face or anything like others have mentioned. But when I had a good deal of speed from big drops I find it tough to set the rail for the bottom turn and roundies. Had to nurse it through turns at speed a bit more. But then I bought a Hellfire and am now just fine in that scenario. :) Still have my DOM in the trunk every day, though. The thing goes so good and packs away nicely.

Comment

great stuff left lane. i think that's vey well put. Good way of looking at the Dominator in bigger/faster scenarios.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X