Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest waves you surfed on your Dominator?

Hey hey everyone!!!

Just wondering how big a wave the dominator will handle, and if you ride yours in over head high waves, what fins did you find worked best?

I've had mine in head high glassy peaks with PC7's and it went well. I know its not necessarily designed for juice but keen to know who has ridden one in decent size waves.

Cheers, Muz.

Muz,

I have surfed mine in juicy head to head and a half high waves as a quad running Simon Anderson Future 5 Fin Set and also using the same fins as a thruster.

I prefered it as a quad on my back hand and as a thruster on my forehand hand. I reckon it is better on waves with a bit of juice anything gutless from 1-4ft i will surf my Potatonator.

Comment

Have surfed mine at head and a half Burleigh. (Only board in the car that day)Was using H2 Large fronts with PC 2 Sides in the rear. Felt super solid under foot with this set-up. Only problem was the inside super sucky barrelling sections where I was fighting to keep the tail at the bottom of the wave. Clearly there is a lot of fin and tail with this arrangement. Had a blast on the fuller racing outside walls though. Still love this setup from 3 -5 foot but not barrelling.
      Would normally ride it as a thruster from 2-4 foot with PG DHD-1s (The original larger DHDs but now discontinued)

Cheers,
      Sarge.

Comment

Had mine in overhead, it went well but the hellfire goes better. A mate has had his out in 1.5 x overhead.

Comment

Up it up to around 1.5 times overhead. I was using PC7's at that point. I think the board's "sweet spot" is waist to head high. I'm now using GAM's which are just a tad looser but still offering plenty of drive.

Comment

had it in slighly overhead with the stretch quad..the thickness of the tail really limits the board once you're on bigger faster waves.. great for top end speed but when you want to slam on the breaks with a turn its a bit tougher then a hpsb. i will be using in in the waist high to slighty plus weaker waves once i get my next board.. i have a spud for anything less

Comment

I had mine in 3 feet overhead, 7 to 9 feet on the face, playfull point break waves. Not super critical but not mushy either and really fast down the line. I even got one little high and tight almond barrel that day. It went very well considering that it is not a performance board. It was fine on bottom turns and lip smacks. I cranked some super hard cut backs at beyond light speed and thats when I noticed the board maxing out a little. If I didn't have freakishly strong legs I would have never pulled those turns off.

At one point I had a guy on a perfomance short board drop in on me. I was super deep and he never looked back. He was about 20 feet down the line from me. I didn't say anything because I was going vert top to bottom and he was doing the same and wasn't messing with my ride. Then he went for a cutty and I gave him a hoot. He kicked out and I kept going for another 70 yards. When i saw him at the top of the point he was trippin out on me. He couldn't believe I made the section at the take off and he thought he was doing some tight pocket surfing until he realized that I was doing some tight pocket surfing and he was farting around on the shoulder.

I was using the rusty quad set. I would love to have another go with the knubster in the center, I would have had even more speed and been coming of the bottom even harder!

Comment

Got my 5'10" on overhead surf and most probably I was using the wrong fins cause I was sliding off the face quite frequently

Comment

230 feet the other day. Went to a moon of saturn with a methane ocean. Waves live for years because there is no land for them to break on.

Comment

I'll have whatever he's having!!

Comment

What fins were you using Chris?

Comment

A good set of Octorlian medium template that picked up from Huntington Surf and Space. The Octorlian's are the reigning intergalactic champions.

Comment

Double overhead 12-14ft face - solid reef break, as a thruster, tough on the take off and very loose and a bit uncontrolled, but thats the price, once you get used to it, ROCK ON MAN.

Here is a shot today from our local big wave boys, 60- 70ft faces.Attachment
                          Attached Files

Comment

Saw some photos and footage of today doing the rounds. Looks pretty mental. I want to see Butler's paddle wave(s)!

Comment

We have a contest on here at the weekend up north, Im in the master's div for the first year, swell will still be solid, the dominator going have it's work cut out, think the SP will stay in the van.

Comment

Working...
                              X