X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'2 Dominator & thruster fins

Hi guys, I'd like to start off by saying that i'm a long time reader and first time poster. I have really gained some awesome information and appreciate the effort that you wise guys contribute to people like myself. Many thanks. I'm 5'7 and 80kgs (stocky) build and quite strong thanks to my line of work. I took up surfing 2 years ago and get out once a week in victoria, aus. I'd say im inbetween beginner to intermediate at the moment... I'm starting to get some nice powerful bottom turns going both frontside and backside. I mostly surf the 13th beach stretch of beach breaks. 2-4ft is were i feel comfortable at the moment. I need help with selecting a thruster fin setup. I have the kinetic racing luke egans but have lost 10kgs since buying those and they feel too big and stiff. I spoke with a young guy at strapper in torquay and i explained that i like to do big drivey bottom turns but want something that will still let me do nice cutbacks and throw the tail around a little. He recommended me the WCT Rasta thruster set which i bought. I have only surfed these in 2ft slow gutless slop but already get an inkling that i may have trouble getting a nice strong drivey bottom turn out of these? I could be jumping the gun and may not have had fair enough conditions to properly decide but just an early sign that i may have made a wrong choice :$ Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, -keegz

Yeah I think you want a bigger, more raked fin than the WCT. Jordys or large AM templates would be a good start.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. For say 1.5ft-4ft (hawaiin) should i be looking at am1 or am2? If i had to choose with what ive read from the futures website id probably go with the yellow am2s. But i still feel like im taking a bit of a pot shot due to my lack of understanding.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        Whichever are the bigger. The FCS version in called GAM. Not 100% on futures naming.

Yeah am2 are bigger than am1. Thanks for your help.

Comment

I like the K3 fins. Lots of drive but loose. Also , the Kinetic Racing Parko fins. Those two are my favourites and I like drivey "power" turns.

Comment

When u say the k3 fins do you mean the k3.1's ? I know of the k2.1s and the k3.1s..

Comment

I think they're just called k3's, but I'll check and come back. Maybe he's using slightly different names for them now that he's split from FCS. They're the fins Kelly uses on point breaks for more drive and a slightly longer turn arc.

Comment

Just enjoyed the australia day long weekend on my new set of am2 honeycombs. Conditions were glassy and 2-3ft super fun and easy waves. i cant thank you enough guys. The am2s are THE perfect fins for me. I couldnt believe how much more drive off the bottom i could get to slintahot me in to my next turn. So damn impressed with this board and fin setup. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Comment

Working...
              X