X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which dominator for Perth conditions?

Hi guys I'm about to buy a Hybrid after spending years on a 6"1' standard shortboard but can't decide on a Dominator 5"8' or a Dominator 5"10'.
    The chart says I should be most suited to the 5"10' (I'm an Intermediate surfer, 6 foot, 72kgs), but I just feel like the 5"10' would not be as good in the small stuff. I'm in Perth and mainly dealing in one to three foot but I want the Dominator through winter too in about 4" to 5". Will the 5"8' still handle that?

Just can't decide, there really should be a board for me called the Procrastinator :)

Cheers

Going by the volume calculator for 72kg intermediate the 5'8" looks perfect. See http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...=72&m=m&abil=2
    I think this will give you a more granular estimate, those charts are based on a weight range. the volume calculator recommendations are specific to your weight.

The 5'8 dominator at your weight will handle 5' waves easily. I've had mine out in solid 6' and it was fine.

Comment

If you're coming off a 6'1" standard shorty the 5'8" should be fine at 72kg. If you don't surf frequently and intend to use the board only in small Perth surf the 5'10" would be the go.

Comment

I reckon you should go an El Fuego, or at least compare the elf to the dominator. I have heard mixed reviews about the dominator. The elf has that fun factor. Either that or ask Nev to get started on the procrastinator!

Comment

I'm 68kgs and have a 5'8 Dominator and love it in punchy waves from hip to just overhead high. I have had a few surfs on it in less punchy waves and found it really hard going and did not enjoy it which i why I bough the 5'8 Potatonator. I could surf the 5'6 no worries but i think in a board like the Potatonator a little extra volume is not a bad thing especially in the type of waves it is designed for.

I haven't had a chance to ride it yet as there has been some reasonable surf around lately and loving the HellRazor......I hope to get a chance on it over next week depending on swell.

You may find a 5'6 or even a 5'8 Potatonator a better option if the waves you are primarily surfing are 2-5ft and a bit gutless.....the Potatonator is close to the Procrastinator :)

This Vimeo clip of Nev surfing the Potatonator in some waves which will give you a bit of an idea of how the board will go http://vimeo.com/35963627

Comment

good stuff here. i do think the dominator/spitfire are likely the best options for the 2-5 range. I have ridden my potatonator in head high surf and I know i prefer a smaller tail for increased control. dgilly, i think at your weight, the 508 dom or spit are perfect in size.

look at it this way, if you are getting mostly 1-3 foot waves, consider the potatonator, but if you are expecting to be in punchy surf here and there and consistently in 2-4ft surf, the Dom/Spit is my suggestion, especially coming down from a shortboard. They rip.

Cheers

Comment

Yes have a think about the Spitfire, I just bought one and I think I like it more than the dom...first surf today, so only going by limited experience but it certainly got along in knee to thigh high waves with plenty of speed and tuns tighter and quicker...there is an extra notch of performance in it.

Comment

Thanks heaps for the feedback guys, very helpful!

Comment

good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                  X