X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiver dilemma?!!!

Hi. After recently adding a 5'8 sp to my 6'4 dm I'm now lookin for another board as a bit of a step up. Love the sp in 1-3ft and really love the dm In 2-4ft. But just find that the dm starts to slide out a little when the waves get slightly steeper/hollower! So am looking for a board that will solve this problem. Boards in mind are the sf,ub,md,hf any thoughts. And also would u go 6'4 or slightly smaller as it's for more powerful waves. Cheers.

You listed a lot of good boards there. The UB goes good from 3ft - 5ft and compliments the Dominator really well. I think the SF is too close to your Dom. The HF is even more of a step-up, from what I hear, but I haven't tried that one.

Comment

from my understanding the UNI will be a very easy transition from your DM. Very similar feel, but with a higher range. I just picked up my UNI yesterday. Being that you're on a 604 DM you'd look at a 606 UNI, which is exactly what I'm on. I haven't ridden my UNI yet, but comparing to my old DM and Spit there is a LOT of volume under the chest area for paddling, but a really thinned out tail. A nice big double concave that is quite deep, so it should be quite a lively board that goes rail to rail easily despite it's width. The big thumb tail (very similar to the DM) should see it sail over flat sections quite easily, but still have good hold when the waves barrell. I compared the board side by side with a 606 Hellfire, and the Hellfire is more refined again. Narrower nose and Tail, with the step down rail like the spitfire. By feeling up the board, it seems like it would prefer a more powerful wave to the UNI.

Having said that though, I've had my old Spitfire out in some pretty hairy waves up to 1.5x OH and it handled it really well. The UNI should be even better, so I expect I'll be able to make it work in waves up to 2x OH if not too critical.

Comment

I haven't ridden the Dom, but found my magic board in the Unibrow. Its such a versatile board and seems to work really well in anything from knee high to 1.5 x OH. Find the right set of fins and put your foot all the way back on that traction pad and you can really gouge some deep carving turns with no fear of sliding out. The board will really get up and go too with a little wall and a few pumps. Once I found the sweet spot on the board, I have been amazed in almost every session at some of the waves I caught. Its got good volume right under the chest so you can really get your weight forward while paddling and catch more waves than a more thinned out high performance short board. I've owned a Spitfire, Baked Potato, CI Neck beard, CI DFR, CI Flyer II, 7S Superfish, Custom Lost Hybrid Fish, and a Sharpeye shortboard among others. Hands down, the Unibrow is the best all around everyday board.

Comment

Thanks guys. Unibrow sounds like it could be the one. I had a look at one in my local shop an I have to say it felt great. The volume seems to be hidden really well. Any suggestions on size? I'm 6'1 170lb and normally ride a 6'4 dom so the uni Is gona be my good wave board! Also suggestions on which fcs fins? Cheers guys for all the feedback.

Comment

At your weight you could ride a 510 or 600 unibrow quite easily. But if you like some volume you could go for a 602 - 604.

Comment

Yeah I was thinkin a 6'2. Little extra float to get in to the wave early. What about fins? I was thinkin a set of fcs m7's to give a bit more hold?

Comment

I'd look at a medium size fin with a reasonably upright template.

Comment

I'd actually be recommending the MD. It has a higher high end than a UB but is still a round tail and an easy transition from the Dom. At 170lbs I'd be saying around 6'0" in the MD or UB but you seem to like extra volume so maybe 6'2"?

Comment

On fins I really like the ParkonKinetic Racing carbon thrusters, or K3 thrusters. Both loose but also with good drive.

Comment

Like the md a lot but I heard the ub was a lot easier to ride! Also really like the kinetic racing fins but there really hard to get hold of in the uk.

Comment

I have both a UB and MD and neither is harder to surf than the other. The UB is a bit more back footed and suits smaller waves better, whereas the MD is probably a bit more neutral feeling in terms of back and front weighting, and is better in mid size and up waves.

Comment

Thanks buzzy. Gona have a demo on both the ub an md and see how I get on. Il let u know. Cheers for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                          X