Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
anyone ridden a Dom in clean overhead waves like Burleigh, Lennox, Winki? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone ridden a Dom in clean overhead waves like Burleigh, Lennox, Winki?

and what did it go like? did it feel too bulky?

pretty sure Nev has! Keith i think it would depend on how you sized it for yourself. One year i had broken ribs during an East Coast hurricane so i rode my 508 dominator and it did surprisingly well. It was sized to be a small wave hybrid so it was over volume. If i had a 506 it probably would have been killer. In the end i think it depends hat you bought the board for and whether you wanted it to do better at the bigger or smaller end of the wave spectrum.

Long story short, i think you could ride one in those conditions, but i am not sure it would ever be the IDEAL board with everything else that is out there...

Cheers

Comment

I remember reading Nev's reviews of the Spit, Elf and was it the Dom? can someone bring that back? While i have got you cornered Chris, what does 'Firewire Library' mean? I see you have had a few posts over the years, does that make you a librarian? bad joke i know. Do any of the main posters like you or Iggy work for Firewire? You guys have got an awesome knowledge bank, so could you recommend a shorter board for me for good waves, Indo, points etc, head high to double. I am 6'3" 95kg 54yrs, advanced and love my 6'8" Dom but it is enormous and i have trouble hitting the lip and coming back down again because the tail is so wide and fat. However, for winter in a steamer, and lots of water moving around, rips etc, the paddle power and high performance on the face are unbeatable.
      Somewhere around 42-45lts? The elf sounds good but so does just about every other Firewire. It gets confusing. I think i am forming a FW addiction, thanks,

Comment

6'2" nano (43.5 litres).
        The Elf and its like have been surpassed by Tomo modern planing hulls.
        Btw my mate would ride his dom at Noosa (Nationals, Tea tree, Granite ) all the time when it was breaking for 2 years straight in whatever swell size we had out there.
        He's also taken it to Lakeys (Sumbawa), Mentawaiis and Cloud Nine (Phillipines).
        He's same age as me btw (51).
        Last edited by cuttlefish; 07-30-2014, 03:45 AM.

Comment

Thanks cuttlefish, i have read a few on here have gone the MPH and it sounds like there's no going back. Tell me about your nano, what sort of waves you surf it in and how did you get your head around the shape? Does it go in full slow waves? or do you ride a potatoe in crap, im 54, 95kgs 6'3"

Comment

I'm 51, 6'1" and 92kgs.
            Initially bought a used 6' Vanguard (39 litres) and rode it in really good 3-4' beachbreak waves.
            Easy to catch waves on and had that instant mph speed. Then rode it in crowded point waves and didn't fare so well in the paddle battles when I was running out of energy. Bought the 6'2" nano (43.5 litres) and found it a good paddler and it had the instant mph speed, more of a forgiving ride and would go anywhere I wanted it go on a wave with ease.
            For me the nano took no acclimitisation at all. Great from the very first wave. My local point has been asleep for months so I've only ridden it in beachbreak waves from 1-4' so far. No onshore stuff as I've only bothered to surf when its been half way decent wind wise. It's gone great in all of that size range as a thruster. Normally I'd prefer quads but the nano goes well as both quad and thruster.
            Still ride a 5'10" spud in fat, slow stuff because the spud is amazing in those kinds of waves. If the wave is a bit hollow and smaller though the nano still goes well. I was so keen to ride it in everything I even used Futures controller front fins and an SB1 sidebite fin in the centre box when it was only knee - thigh high to great effect.

Comment

Thanks cuttlefish, i remember following your posts a long time ago because we seemed a similar size and age and you were talking about how good your spud goes, is it the sweet potatoe? I fairly sure im going to get one for summer slop, what would you recommend for me? I used to have a Webber minifish 6'2" that i enjoyed riding in small waves, under waist high, but i like the idea of the massive volume of the spud family around the 6ft mark, i also love the look of the timber deck boards. Just rode my boat, 6'8" Dom in shoulder high offshore walls and i loved it. There was me and 6 mal riders and my 'mal' went way better!
              Last edited by keith; 08-01-2014, 01:59 AM.

Comment

just bought an ajw potato launcher to compliment my dom for the winter. you could ride it but i find my dom to be a bit skittish in anything over chest thats powerful

Comment

A few days ago i was surfing overhead steep waves and for the 1st time the tail of my Dom slid and felt unstable, i think there must have been a bit of foam on the face. i didnt fall off but it surprised me as it's the only time i have felt that unplanned release. I will try it with 4 fins next time to see if it feels more stable. It could have just been one of those days, the waves were a bit lumpy as well.

Comment

I have ridden my 5'10 Dom -I'm 88kg- at 5 foot Burleigh. (1.5 OH) It was fun on the wider ones but on the sucky inside the board just got dragged up the face until it would drop out of the lip. I would be ready and fighting it from the bottom of the wave, but once in the pocket at that size, there was nothing I could do. I only used the Dom as I had only taken 1 board and the forecast had been for 2-3 foot. Wouldn't choose to do it with that board again.Caught a heap of half length rides though : )

Comment

Working...
                    X