X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator for old guys

Just a bit of an update on my 6'8" review, i surfed it this morning in clean head high lefts, mostly fat waves that broke from the top down but 40-50m rides. While i was out there with one other guy i kept saying to myself i have to tell someone about how good this board goes. I know people love the advance and other high volume short boards but this board does everything and more. It does paddle well, im just the slackest paddler out there, it catches anything and you can fade back to the power source and put it on rail and it takes off. To make falling sections if you come down with a floater it is stable in the foam and then increases its speed down the line. Having a longer rail line it is easy to draw out a bottom turn and then stomp on the tail for a mid face carve or wrap around cutback, the round tail is perfect for that and it has never dug a rail. I kept praising Dan Mann every paddle back out and thinking that for a 95-100 kg older surfer, say 45 up, this board is perfect. It is so easy to ride and has enough performance to keep you thinking you can still surf ok. It is a huge volume board that could put you off in the board store, but it is a wolf in sheeps clothing. 2 board quiver, 6'8" Dom / 6'4" Potatonater. coming soon.

I'm 41 yrs old and just ordered a 5'10 dom, can't wait to get it. I keep hearing stories like your's and it just keeps thinking I made the right choice. It seems firewire has made it possible for guys over 40 to still surf with the same performance and stoke we had in our 20's !! Firewire is the only board I'll ever ride again, and I've been surfing over 20yrs, wish you guys were around when I was 14. Lol

Comment

Welcome to the forum Eddie, im so stoked i cant stop talking about them! Today i came across some other firewire nuts and they were just normal guys on their 1st firewires, the guy with a Timbertek Unibrow said he bought it to put it on the wall in his house, it looked so nice! but now he cant believe he actually considered that after riding it today in good waves. I bought a 6'4 Dom about 2 years ago, rode it twice and didnt like it, so i sold it but im thinking at the time i rode it in really gutless waves and didnt give it a chance. I think the Dom works best in waves with a bit of push, or at least the chance to pump it and work up speed. That video of Timmy Reyes is a good example of that. There is no doubt FW has a huge range of boards suitable for the older gent, the only downside to that is trying to release funds from the minister of finance, to satisfy our curiosity(addiction).

Comment

I here you Keith about the finance part, and thanks for the welcome. The first board I ever owned was a 6'4 twin fin Hansen, i was between 12-14 yrs old. We owned a beach house growing up in Sanbridge beach, Va. So I had plenty of practice on a huge board for me at the time, and I've only had 2 brand new boards since then. Crazy right ? So convincing the wife I've paid my dues in the used board department wasn't hard. But I can see the gears turning in my head already, I will build a nice quiver with Firewire, gurenteed. Will give a update when the board arrives. Cheers!

Comment

Keith i have a 6'2" Dom and I'm 95 kilos. I like it but i haven't yet felt the buzz you've just posted. I feel I'm missing something and have not yet got it fully dialled in. What fins and set up are you running if you don't mind also what is your weight? They talk about getting the wrong size can be the only real issue but i think I've got the volume spot on.

Comment

Working...
          X