X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to hybrids

Hi all. Trying to figure out what board I should get. I’m 42 years, 186cm and 82kg (surf a lot in 5-6mm so 85kg if more accurate). I have zero experience on the “new” shorter volume packed hybrid boards.

My new board needs to work well in small to medium sized waves. When I travel (mostly Ireland and Scotland) I want to bring this new board along with my 608 round pin so it needs to work well in small to medium surf. I would like to bring my longboard but it sucks to travel with it and softracks leads rain into the rental cars. The Dominator seems to be a good choice by the reviews, and the full outline looks great too. The Potatoes looks fun but I’m afraid they will be hard to surf if the waves are fast, lined up and peeling. Will the Dominator hold better in faster down the line waves? And what size will I need? Think I prefer some extra volume to be on the safe side and for easiness in weak surf so I looking at 601 or 602. Other options like Double Agent, Hellfire etc? What’s your opinion?

Cheers
    Jimmy

The Dominator or Spitfire are a great start Jim - but 6'2" will be way over sized and you'll find it working against you (unless you want an ultra cruisey ride) The biggest I would go is 6'0" for your weight. Depending how good you surf you could easily ride a 5'10" in this shape. I rode a 6'0" at 95kg down to 1ft no worries catching waves. The 6'2" was way to big and difficult to ride.
    So many choices! but if you like the look of the Dom stick with it

Comment

I'm with goanna. A 510 dominator will be perfect. Any bigger will be a hindrance.

Comment

Thanks for quick reply (payday tomorrow). Never thought about the Spitfire but its looks fun. What would you say is the main characteristic for the Dom and Spit respectively? About my ability I would say average to good. I can turn and carve and even pull in if its ones of those days. On my 602 Rawson I use as standard shortboard I have water almost up to my chests in a 5mm – no idée on volume on that one but it feels a bit small in a thick weetie.

Comment

Spitfire is a more refined board that the Dom, it's more high performance. This is only based on what I've read!

Comment

Yeah the Spitfire is actually the Dom with a different tail so same wave catching ability with a slightly higher performance ride.

Comment

if you're sitting chest deep on some boards with no problem, then you could easily ride a 508 dom or spit. But I'd still point you towards the 510.

Comment

Thanks! My mind is now set on The Spitfire 510.

Comment

Im glad Jimbob increased the font size, how did that happen? and how do you get a profile photo uploaded?

Comment

Working...
                  X