Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Dominator or Spitfire in New England

Hey everyone.

I am looking into getting a new board soon and need some help. To give you an idea, I am 5'9 140lbs. I have been riding an old (10+years - has glassed in fins!) Rusty 6'4 shortboard. I can't read the dimensions anymore but it is very narrow, lots of nose rocker, and extremely thin rails. I got this when I was much younger and didn't know what I was purchasing. I am pretty sure it is not the right size for me and I am definitely sure it is not the right board for my typical surf conditions.

I surf mainly new hampshire beach breaks. I rarely get days with anything above overhead. Typically it is ankle to head high with varying wind so it can either be mushy and slow or steep and fast/closeout. I am not always available to surf when it gets good so I really want a board that can handle smaller (knee to thigh) since its smaller most of the time. However, I do want to be able to hit head-overhead without too much difficulty.

I am probably beginner to intermediate, depending on whos reading. Given how difficult it can be to ride these conditions with my board, I can make it work on most days, am able to pump and generate speed as long as it doesn't close out too fast (also, I usually drop late cause of lots of rocker). I can't really do many snaps but i think its foot placement - again, due to size of board I have to shift forward and have front foot pressure to get the drive and speed in my turns but can't always get back on my tail to set the rail. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Getting to the point, I am broke but want a board that will handle these conditions and allow for progression of my skills. I want to catch waves that are small but want to be able to snap/cut in better surf. I can't really do great cuts and snaps now but want something that will take me there. So...Spitfire or dominator?

Also, opinions on sizing are GREATLY NEEDED! Like i said, my board is ancient and seems to be designed for much better and bigger surf than what I get. I often can't get my back foot on the tail because when i do i just loose too much speed and the wave (fast beach break) just disappears on me - board is a thruster btw. I'm 5'9 140 and am looking at the 5'8 (roughly 31L volume). Any thoughts on 5'8 or the 5'6 for me? Obviously less vol = quicker tighter turns. However, how much will i sacrifice in catchability with that downsize? More importantly, how much would it affect my ability to surf thigh high days?

In sum, what size and board should i get for fast beach breaks ankle to overhead, with added preference to thigh high days - since they come more often - but without sacrificing head to overhead ability?

Appreciate any/all help. Really want/need a new board

Hey NEsurf,
    what's happening. I am a Mainer myself. stoked to have your support.

Regarding the two shapes, dominator or spitfire, GO DOMINATOR! no doubt!

sizing kind of depends on a few things. Firstly age. are you a youngling that may grow more?

hit us back...

Comment

Yesssssir!!!!!.Dominatro is the way to go
      I'm from Montreal and I usually get my boards from liquid Dreams Surf Shop in Ogunquit ME or Cinnamon Rainbows in NH.
      31lts is a lot of volume but at this point length will be more of an issue. How small of a board have you surfed?

Comment

Im 25. Cinnamon is where I'd be getting it from... Smallest board surfed is what i have now 6'4 rusty. Dimenisions aren't legible anymore. Its very narrow, squash tail, tri fin with these cool little mini quad "buddy fins", lots of nose rocker. I am expecting a significant learning curve for the drop. I don't feel as though I want to compromise on length due to my lack of experience on shorter boards. I know it'll be difficult at first but I feel I would be limiting board potential for going too big and getting too much volume. However, volume is quite important to me to catch thigh high waves, but I want to be able to snap/cut/roundhouse when surf gets head high +.

My only dilemma is I am extremely broke, hence the reason I have a 10+ year old board, and want something that 1. will last 2. will allow me to progress and 3. handle the conditions I typically get.

Between the fact that overhead swells with offshore is almost as likely as a leprechaun with lucky charms and a guiness at the end of a skittles rainbow and how busy I am, I usually only get thigh to head (if lucky) size. For instance, right now theres a hugeeee flat spell thats killing me. What's important to me is to make small, real small days fun without grabbing a longboard.

Regarding the money issue, I am horrified at how expensive boards are these days. I'm expecting to drop at least 600, not including fins. What scares me more is buying the wrong equipment, and there are so many options. I've been considering Rusty dwart, lost rocket, lost uber plank, CI biscuit fishcuit dumpster diver pod, JS back box pier pony. Its insane. Furthermore, demoing is incredibly difficult, if at all possible. It frankly scares me to drop this kind of money without test driving. Every buy a car without driving at least the one you bought, if not others similar to it?

I appreciate the responses so quickly. If its possible, can anyone give honest opinions about these boards if they have ridden them? Again, if its not known, NH surf is not great most of the time. Mushy, onshore, beach break (i don't bother with rye rocks). It definitely can get amazing, especially one freak day last summer that was legendary but the probability of me actually getting it is slim so I want a board that will catch small waves and actually be able to ride them.

Without trying to start controversy or too much criticism, I have heard of issues regarding firewire delams and freak board snapping. Any comments on these? The technology seems like what I really want - great long term investment and durability. But again, I am broke and very hesitant of spending lost of cash.

Thanks guys.

p.s. size range for board: priority 1-3, need 3-6 as well, would like possibility of 6-8...so basically the David Copperfield board...thatd be a great name for one

Comment

Having surfed those waves, I 'd go Dominator for sure. It is a bit of a Swiss Army knife in that it can do most things rather well. I have seen guys out in sub-waist high stuff up to well overhead on them. Places like the Wall are generally fatter as opposed to really hollow and well suited to a Dominator style board. In the winter it can get epic, and you may find the Dom a bit skittish on the biggest days, but for most of the time it will be a trusty go-to board. As for sizing, take a look at the charts on the web site and be honest with yourself about your abilities. You can truly go quite a bit shorter with this board than with a regular shortboard because of how the volume is distributed. As far as I can gather about the delam issues, the best advice is to do your best to avoid severe temperature swings - so don't leave your board in the car on a sunny day and then jump right into the cold water, that sort of thing. They also appear to me to happen a bit more with the Rapidfire over the FST (but I could be reading wrong).

In general, a Dom as a one board solution in New England is a really good call. If you had the $ for more than one, I'd go Sweet Potato (for those super small days) and El Fuego (anything waist high and up), but that is just me.

Comment

Originally posted by nesurf View Post
            Im 25. Cinnamon is where I'd be getting it from... Smallest board surfed is what i have now 6'4 rusty. Dimenisions aren't legible anymore. Its very narrow, squash tail, tri fin with these cool little mini quad "buddy fins", lots of nose rocker. I am expecting a significant learning curve for the drop. I don't feel as though I want to compromise on length due to my lack of experience on shorter boards. I know it'll be difficult at first but I feel I would be limiting board potential for going too big and getting too much volume. However, volume is quite important to me to catch thigh high waves, but I want to be able to snap/cut/roundhouse when surf gets head high +.

My only dilemma is I am extremely broke, hence the reason I have a 10+ year old board, and want something that 1. will last 2. will allow me to progress and 3. handle the conditions I typically get.

Between the fact that overhead swells with offshore is almost as likely as a leprechaun with lucky charms and a guiness at the end of a skittles rainbow and how busy I am, I usually only get thigh to head (if lucky) size. For instance, right now theres a hugeeee flat spell thats killing me. What's important to me is to make small, real small days fun without grabbing a longboard.

Regarding the money issue, I am horrified at how expensive boards are these days. I'm expecting to drop at least 600, not including fins. What scares me more is buying the wrong equipment, and there are so many options. I've been considering Rusty dwart, lost rocket, lost uber plank, CI biscuit fishcuit dumpster diver pod, JS back box pier pony. Its insane. Furthermore, demoing is incredibly difficult, if at all possible. It frankly scares me to drop this kind of money without test driving. Every buy a car without driving at least the one you bought, if not others similar to it?

I appreciate the responses so quickly. If its possible, can anyone give honest opinions about these boards if they have ridden them? Again, if its not known, NH surf is not great most of the time. Mushy, onshore, beach break (i don't bother with rye rocks). It definitely can get amazing, especially one freak day last summer that was legendary but the probability of me actually getting it is slim so I want a board that will catch small waves and actually be able to ride them.

Without trying to start controversy or too much criticism, I have heard of issues regarding firewire delams and freak board snapping. Any comments on these? The technology seems like what I really want - great long term investment and durability. But again, I am broke and very hesitant of spending lost of cash.

Thanks guys.

p.s. size range for board: priority 1-3, need 3-6 as well, would like possibility of 6-8...so basically the David Copperfield board...thatd be a great name for one
            What's your weight and height?

Comment

I'm in the same boat, and I was wondering why you guys suggested more the Dominator over the Spitfire. I also surf mostly in Maine, Ogunquit/Wells but if I have the chance and $$ go for a trip in costa/nica.

I'm about 5'9 160lbs and 21years old. Novice-intermediate, coming from a longboard but tried a few times some shortboards, would a 6' Spitfire or Dominator be a good size ? Or not enough volume ?

Thanks for the help!!

Comment

Neither of you should surf the dominator over 6'0 in my opinion. Both you and should be able to paddle lower volume. At 140lbs, I would go 5'6. At 160 5'8. I am 40 5'7 and 165. I ride a 5'8 dominator and could easily do a 5'6.

Comment

Working...
                X