X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the DOMINATOR the board for me?

Hey ya'll, new to the forum here at Firewire. I'm about "this close" to pulling the trigger on a 604 Dominator here at my local S. Florida shop. I've done a ton of research and it sounds like this is the board for me. I just started surfing a few years ago and after going through some growing pains on different used boards of all shapes and sizes I think the 604 DOM is the right board for my current skill level and our typical S. Florida conditions. I'm 6'2" 200lbs and I'm really trying to spend as much time on my feet as possible. I'm not interested in being a hero out there. Our typical conditions are 2 - 3' wind swell. We get a few days of chest high+, good surf per year but it's rare. As long as it's rideable, I'm the type of guy that will paddle out no matter what - I don't care how small or how cold it is.

Suggestions on fin configuations would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I think its a good pick.
    Are you looking at Future fins or FCS?

Comment

Futures.

Comment

I surf a 6'4" Dom at your weight. That size is perfect, particularly in targeting those smaller waves.

Comment

On fins it depends what feel you're after. If you like your fins to release at the end of a turn you'd look for something smaller and/or more upright. If you like to carve your turns you'd go bigger and with more rake. I like to carve all the time so I like a larger fin. I use FCS so the only equivalent would be the GAM, which I think is the AM2 in futures.

Comment

6-4 will float you no problem, make sure you try out many fin combinations. Everyone has their sweet fin combo for that board. Mine so far is AM-2 Tri and Rusty quad in futures. If you want it looser run smaller/upright fins in the back.

Comment

Thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it. That exactly what I wanted to hear. Headed out at lunch to make the purchase.

Comment

stoked!!! appreciate the support. Thanks for all the help folks.

Comment

That's right!!! Added the DOM to the quiver at lunch. Praying the swell gets to S. Florida tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeySlice View Post
                    ...I don't care how small or how cold it is.
                    How cold does it get in Florida? LOL but you'll love the dominator, plenty of room to improve your surfing on it too. For smaller waves a quad set up would help but I'm not all that familiar with the futures range but I see there are Rusty quads in futures, I use the FCS Rusty quads which I think are pretty much the same.

Comment

Ha. We had a really warm winter so I only wore the wetsuit a handful of times. Warm winter also means no waves though. Paddled out in a few 40 degree days the prior winter. Trying the quads out today. We shall see...

Comment

ha awesome. Iggy you should see the people shivering in 54 degree water in SoCal. Its wild. people wear hooded 4/3s with boots and gloves on 60 degree days in 55 degree date with blasting sun. Last time I wore a hooded 4/3 it was snowing in Maine around new years and the water was like 45.....

Comment

Worth every penny!! Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X