Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'6 Dominator Future Fins for 200lb / 90kg

Hello Firewire forum.

I just picked up a 6'6" dominator with future boxes and need to get some fins. I want to ride it as a quad but don't know exactly which fins to get.

I've been surfing for 1.5 years and was happily riding an older 7'6" flexflight thruster, then I demoed a dominator and was immediately convinced that I needed to buy one, so I got the 6'6" for a bit of extra float and mush power while I continue to learn.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has an opinion about which quads are best, but I'm just looking for a set that will work in many conditions since I won't be changing them out too much. However, it might be nice to have the option of a thruster setup...

Can anyone recommend something suitable? FS4? FSA4?

What if I wanted to get a set of thruster fins too? Any recommendations?

Are 5 fin sets too much of a compromise?

Thanks in advance!

Id go with the simon anderson quad, theyre a really big fin with lots of drive and great turning capability. You can also buy the 5 fin setup so you can ride it as a thruster when its bigger

Comment

Originally posted by algorhythm View Post
      Hello Firewire forum.

I just picked up a 6'6" dominator with future boxes and need to get some fins. I want to ride it as a quad but don't know exactly which fins to get.

I've been surfing for 1.5 years and was happily riding an older 7'6" flexflight thruster, then I demoed a dominator and was immediately convinced that I needed to buy one, so I got the 6'6" for a bit of extra float and mush power while I continue to learn.

Anyway, I'm sure everyone has an opinion about which quads are best, but I'm just looking for a set that will work in many conditions since I won't be changing them out too much. However, it might be nice to have the option of a thruster setup...

Can anyone recommend something suitable? FS4? FSA4?

What if I wanted to get a set of thruster fins too? Any recommendations?

Are 5 fin sets too much of a compromise?

Thanks in advance!
      Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the replies SDsurf and iggy. How important is it to have a larger fin set like the simon andersons rather than a more medium set like the stretch or EA set? I've heard that fin size is way more important than shape or even configuration...

Comment

What type of conditions are you typically surfing in?

I'm about your size and I just bought a 604 Dominatior last week. I've been using the Stretch Quad Medium Futures and I really like them. I'ts only been 2'-3' foot and pretty mushy. I've been getting plenty of speed and I like the looseness of these fins. The board responds like a champ.

From what I've been told on here and by the local surf shops is everyone is different and you're just going to have to experiment a little bit to figure it out.

I'm going to get some fins with some more hold but I haven't needed too yet.

Comment

Originally posted by algorhythm View Post
            Thanks for the replies SDsurf and iggy. How important is it to have a larger fin set like the simon andersons rather than a more medium set like the stretch or EA set? I've heard that fin size is way more important than shape or even configuration...
            Well is not that is more or less important, everything is linked, but the wrong set of fins can make you hate a board..
            I will post something that will help you understand a bit more about fins

Comment

Attachment
              The size of the fin is critical based on the weight of the surfer. The area is the most important number to look at to determine the size of the fin. We laid out our catalog with area increasing from left to right. This way the fins to the left in the weight category are looser and the fins to the right have more hold.

Attachment
              Base is an important aspect of area. Increasing the base will make a dramatic difference in the drive you feel out of your bottom turns. If the board feels stiff or hard to turn, putting in a fin with a smaller base, less rake, or more flex might free it up a bit.

Attachment
              The length of the surfboard used to be considered an important indicator for surfers when picking a surfboard, but now surfers are finding that they can ride shorter and shorter boards because volume is much more important than length. Just like surfboards, fins have benefited from recent advancements in technology, and now height is just a component of area. The deeper the fin is the more leverage the fin will have when rolling onto the rail. This helps with stability and overall hold, just like increasing the area. Taller surfers might benefit from deeper fins, and shorter surfers might like less fin height.
              Attachment
              The further the tip overhangs the base the more rake a fin will have. Fins with a large overhang are considered to be lower aspect ratio and they will be more stable because the fin tip in the back corrects and holds the board straight. This is good when the conditions are heavy or you want to wrap sweeping cutbacks.

Fins that are more straight up, higher aspect ratio, will allow you to change directions quickly and can be excellent for tight pocket surfing.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by iggy; 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

The people from FUTURES have put together a nice little compendium on fins that goes a bit further. Feel free to link here :http://www.futuresfins.com/fin-school.php
                to go a bit more in depth as far as materials foils and flex goes.
                Hope this helps

Comment

Wow, this is excellent info. Thanks so much iggy. It really helps me figure out which fins to get. I want to get several different sets to feel the difference, but I think I might start with a set of Simon Anderson quads. Luckily my local shop has a fin tree, so perhaps I can demo some others instead of going into debt...

Mikey: 2-4ft mushy beach breaks mostly.

Comment

up to see what quad set u like best.im almost same height and weight and would like to know

Comment

thanks for posting all that good info iggy

Comment

Originally posted by vowbeachbum View Post
                        up to see what quad set u like best.im almost same height and weight and would like to know
                        I'll report back in a week or two when I have a chance to try out a couple of sets. I'll probably try out the Simon Andersons and a set of Stretch quads. Cheers.

Comment

i rode a 604 with fcs 7's in fourfin mode...my futures sa4's would of fitted well...but i'd rather go thruster...and ride a 508....6ft 90+/- kg's
                          Last edited by core personal training; 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Al - Yeah, let us know how you liked the fins. That board is really good in those conditions.

Comment

So are there two Stretch quad sets, seen them listed as "M" but my set said "L" on the package?

Comment

Working...
                              X