Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha Piha. Sorry about stepping on yout turf with the leap of faith. Thanks again for your advice. I will definitely try some Doms........If you can't trust the advice of a Pastor, then who can you trust.

Comment

Thanks JaM71. That is a board I had not even considered. I can see I will have to do some serious trialling.What size would you consider for a geriatric like me?
      Last edited by terry; 04-12-2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Hey Terry, if you haven't already looked, Natural Necessity have demos of the 600 and 608 Dominator and also the 605 El Fuego. Unfortunately , no Addvance models. Although the 600 maybe too small and the 608 too big, it would be worth having a chat to them and maybe trying a couple to suss out volumes before you pull the trigger. Good luck mate.
        Last edited by tallkook; 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Hi tallkook. Great advice indeed. I shall pay a visit and see what Kent and the boys have to say. I am sure testing is the only way I can sort out this choice without blowing my hard eaned. There are so many pros and cons for each on paper. I am prepared after some divine intervention to try a smaller board. It's all fun. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi terry, sizing is very personal as you can demo a couple of options take advantage. Work out the volume ythat you are comfortable with. I am 74kg (41 years young) and am happy with 34 to 36 litres volume but I am not a fan of the dominator....this is my personal taste. I love my sweet potato tho! I am going to demo a 5.8 potatonator this weekend. My friend cuttlefish has a 6.2 potatonator which he reviewed on this forum pnator small wave assinator thread.....he s a little bit crusty..49 I think and 90 plus kg. sorry ti twist your melon just something for you to consider

Comment

Hi tallkook. I see you went through this Dom v Addvance thing. What was your conclusion?

Comment

Terry, I've never surfed an Addvance, although I would like to. My take is that the 6'6 Addvance would surf pretty similar to my 6'6 Nugget, maybe even a bit more versatile. I really only think this because of the volume (Nuggets are chubby). Everyone who has owned an Addvance on here seems to love them so if you are looking for a cruiser that can step up a notch when you want it then you can't go too far wrong with one IMO. If I had the bucks, I would definitely like one in my quiver. I went with an oversized 6'8 Dominator cause I could get it cheap and I don't regret it. It's a board that does all my limited talent ask of it. I then got a 6'5 El Fuego (cheap as well) as a second board and it too has been a great board so far. I'm taking them both to the Maldives this year where they will be put through their paces in good waves so we'll see.

I can't really say more than that on the Addvance, but from reading through this post, I think it may be what you're after. Track down Nev's Youtube clip on the Addvance for some more info. Good luck with your decision, with so many good models in the lineup it aint an easy one.

Comment

Thanks tallkook. Much food for thought here. I think the Addvance will be similar, maybe more meaty than my Surftech Soulfish. Bottom shape is a bit different I think. At the moment I am probably leaning more towards a Dom, but that could change by the hour. I will do some testing and see how things go. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Terry,

Mate. Get an ADDvance. Go and get one today! I have been following your posts and it is THE board for you to get you going in the Firewire range. It is so versatile and catches waves very easy given the performance it delivers back with a good set of fins. In the future, if you think your ability has developed past the ADDvance then you could get a Hellfire or something more performance orientated but you will never want to sell your ADDvance as it is such a fun board to go out and just cruise in any conditions from 1 ft full onshore to 6th offshore and sucky. I'm pretty sure that's how Cuttlefish started on Firewires as well

You will be one stoked little puppy.

Comment

Ha. Thanks STC67 for your candid advice. I am sure you are correct. This is the board which immediately took my fancy and your passionate advocacy of the boards, as well as posts from others are very convincing. I will try some and get on with it. Again thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post
                        Ha. Thanks STC67 for your candid advice. I am sure you are correct. This is the board which immediately took my fancy and your passionate advocacy of the boards, as well as posts from others are very convincing. I will try some and get on with it. Again thanks.
                        Your welcome :)

Comment

Well...I did start riding Firewires with the 6'6" Addvance.
                          I ended up selling it but I shouldn't have.
                          I'm a 92 plus kg unit and was after a bit more govellability (new term?) when my local beachbreaks were doing their high tide, break... back off in some deeper water and then eventually hit the shorebreak.
                          One of the things the 6'6" addvance did well in decent sized waves for me was get on a plane early when paddling for waves.
                          So I could push my self up off my chest and glide along until I wanted to get to my feet. I love that in a board as it is the pop up that gets tougher as you get older.
                          I treated the 6'6" as lighter guys would a shortboard.
                          I'm certain the longer addvances would have the same glide in early entry in smaller waves which I was getting in slightly larger waves on the shorter addvance.
                          Am I right STC?
                          Back then the sweet potato didn't exist.
                          What I should have done is kept the 6'6" and just demoed both the 6'10" and the 7'2" and bought one of them for the section connector duties and to keep the longboarders that take all the waves to the beach in these conditions on their toes (so to speak).
                          Don't start thinking sweet potato though...an addvance will flog a potato in the paddling and wave catching dept by dint of its length.
                          Last edited by cuttlefish; 04-14-2012, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Once again I thank you cuttlefish. Fantastic answer. I fully agree that the pop up gets harder as we get older. This was the main reason I was thinking abouy the Addvance. I especially like the word 'grovellability'. A fantastic new word that is sure to catch on. Seriously thanks heaps for your help. This forum is so great because of the people on it.
                            Last edited by terry; 04-14-2012, 04:22 AM.

Comment

thanks for the good advice STC and Cuttle!!

Comment

Once again thanks. I am onto organising some tests.

Comment

Working...
                                X