X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General volume question

Hi guys. I just ordered a 6.4 dom. Im 195cm and weight 90+ kg. I used to surf a CI al merrick 6.6 19.1/2 /2 flyer 2. Im starting to think that i should havd gone smaller with the dom. Anyone has an idea or approximation of the volume of the flyer 2? I hope they are roughly the same...

Sorry but im kinda worried i ordered the wrong board :(

FLYERII 66 x 19 1/2 X 2 5/8 35.2l

Comment

I think the 6'4" would be fine at 90 plus kilos. Don't sweat it!

Comment

Hey prj were did you find that out? Yea i liked the float of the flyer. Could have done with a few more liters but overall a good feeling. Im worried that i went too big... last year when i planned to buy the dom i had about 10kgs more than now...

Thanks buzz

Comment

That volume is from the CI Board Selector Beta on their website. Personally I'd have been pointing you in the 6'2" range which would be 38.1l or even the 6'0" at 34.8l which would be close to your flyer.
          The 6'4" will work and catch a ton of waves easily, but you'd gain a little more performance from the smaller sizes, in my opinion. The 6'4" is clocking in at 40.06l which depending on how you like your boards, could feel a little corky. At the end of the day it really comes down to your style of surfing and how much power you have behind you in turns. A powerful guy can man handle a higher volume board where as I'd struggle to really lay it on the rail for a turn. On the other hand, if you surf with a more cruisy style and want to turn more of the fins then you might really enjoy the speed and effortless flow of a higher volume board.

I find that around 0.37l of volume per kg seems to be a good way of working at volume, for me at least. That would put you in the 34l range. If you went up to 0.4l per kg that puts you in the 36l range and at 0.45l that puts you up to the 40.5l range of the 6'4" Dom.
          Some guys ride way below 0.35l per/kg so that's not the absolute minimum. I guess it's a good way of figuring out what sort of volume you are comfortable on and then it's easy to adjust your volume as your weight changes.
          Hope that helps and doesn't confuse things further!

Comment

Not saying the above is "wrong" and indeed it's right for a large number of people. But Dougal Walker, an ex top 16 pro, apparently surfs a 6'6" Dom at above 90kg. I surf a 6'4" at 90kg and don't notice any deficiencies. If I planned to use it as my main board for above overhead surf I'd notice the volume but for me the Dom is a knee high to head high board. I've surfed it fine up to 1.5x overhead but that size surf is why I have an Alternator (and soon a Futura).

So in part all this will definitely depend on your background, weight, preferences and where the board fits in your quiver.

Comment

its kinda hard for me to say what type of surfer i am....i started about 5-7 years ago...not tooooo sure anymore :P started on a BIC 7'9 or 8'3 plastic longboard which i still have today. used for baby mush/teaching friends/extra board for one of my brothers(we are 3 and we always swapped between bodyboard,longboard and shortboard). i then got a 198X old school big wave gun. 6'8 i think. about 3" fat and 18.5 wide or so.... widepoint was far forward which made dropping in easy, and it had great hold from the pin tail. i then got a flyer 2 for like 50$ and been surfing it ever since, till i tore out 2 futures boxes while doing a reentry/floater type of turn. i got the dom cus im a backfoot surfer...i guess i loved my longboarding days. being the only one out getting wave after wave. i dont really like the idea of waiting 20+mins for the "perfect wave" like everyone else here on the island does. well, ill see how the 6'4 goes. we never really get much higher than headhight(my HH wave measurement is when i'm in the flats and i look back and cant look over the lip). we usually have waist-shoulder stuff. sometimes clean and barreling, sometimes mushy. ill try out my new baby as a single board quiver. might order an alternator for the few big and clean days we get here....

luismx

Comment

based on that i think you'll love the 6'4"!

Comment

one question tho....does 5l volume make a noticeable difference in the water? i mean, 5l = 5 kg buoyancy......i think.... doesnt seem like such a game changer to me...

luismx

Comment

Some people are picky about less than half a litre, others appreciate the forgiveness the extra volume gives.
                    As you're mostly used to bigger boards I don't think it's too much of an issue. If your background was super needley, tooth pick shortboards I'd recommend you kept your volume close to what you've been on but as you've ridden a range of bigger boards I think you'll probably enjoy that extra volume.

Comment

Hey luismx, I think that the 6'4 will be great mate. I predict all that will happen is that you will get a heap more waves and hence enjoy your surfing even more. The Dom is a great shape, very versatile, you will be stoked with it. I have a 6'8 which is prob way too big for me (I'm a very similar size to you) but I got it cheap and I find it HEAPS of fun to ride in all kinds of waves. I would def go smaller if I got a new one but prob only to a 6'6. Enjoy it mate.

Comment

yeah I agree with Tallkook and PRJ. you have to give it a shot. Worst case scenario is it winds up being too big and you can sell it and get a smaller one. You might just use it and get your bearings then make a call!!

Cheers!

Comment

The problem is that i cant sell it
                          I live in the caribbean and to get the board up to the states costs me a heep. The only reason thats its here now is cus i got someone to take it down with him.. ah what the heck. Even the big guys that ordered their doms too big arnt dissapointed,andhey,more float= more waves= more fun= faster learning. If im happy with the tech and the board,my next (made next 2) firewires will be soon underway. Probably a spud und an alternator ;)

Luismx

Comment

Working...
                          X