X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paddle power ..

I am an intermediate/ex-expert surfer, 46years old / 185lbs & 6'0 in shape but, not in surf shape .. i only take 2 trips per year for about a week each now .. i do NOT surf daily or weekly.. central america or indonesia waves typically .. head-high+ & down the line, nothing fancy ..

I sold all my boards & bought a new 6'2 Dominator as my primary board.. i and am just back from C. Am .. very good waves for a week BUT, i missed about 50% of my waves competing with brazilians, scrappy locals, and myself!

the Dominator 6'2 surfed great & my first time on a quad, i really liked it ... but, I need bigger .. any recommendations from the Firewire crew .. should i go with a Dominator 6'4, 6'6 or, perhaps an Elf 6'5 ? I definitely need more volume for my 'turn, pop/paddle & go' style ..

thanks,

Arne

Check out the 6'6" or 6'10" Addvance. If you go too big on those hybrid boards that are designed to be ridden short you're going to limit their performance.

The Addvance packs a lot of volume and paddles well but has a decent bit of rocker and is designed to have a higher performance limit than you'd expect from a board like that.

Comment

Yeah a 6'6" Addvance would add paddle power and retain paddle ability. I'd be getting one if I surfed less, but remained fit.

Comment

Yeah 6'6" Addvance for sure@

Comment

thanks for comments ...thats what i will do ! an extra 9L of vol & some UFC training should up the wave count ...

cheers,

Arne

Comment

Freeheel,
            Board wise Addvance could be the call if you plan to stay SOFT towards surfing.
            BUT~~~ I would say, GET BACK IN SHAPE for surfing and paddling since you missed 50% of the waves, re-train your self at least a month in advance if you plan a surf trip $$$.. Have some 30 minute work out program 3 times a week to keep in shape so you dont miss those waves. (total gym, Carver skate board, push up bars, squats, Paddle out on flat days anyways, Yes I have a UFC bag in the garage I hit and kick daily also) Dont forget, the other Surfers (who are paying big bucks $$$ to be there also) are pumped, younger than you and they are in shape, seeing you miss the waves as you struggle they will pounce on opportunity and take the choice waves from you like Hyenas in the wild looking for the weak ones in the herd. Dont be the weak one in the herd. Old School Surfing good waves in crowds of semi pro's is not passive anymore, unfortunatly.

Comment

Just keep the dominator,.
              Shave your head, sport lots of tatts, put on your most aggressive stare, mutter under your breath, splash the water like you wanna slap someone down while waiting for waves and wear a UFC shirt while surfing.
              That's what a lot of surfers in my area do.
              Oh geez...I've scored myself a slap down on here for that.
              :-)
              Last edited by cuttlefish; 05-19-2012, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Ha ha ha cuttlefish... .

Comment

Fritzkat,

thanks for the rallying advice .. agree, getting my bone chewed by hyenas is no way to survive in the line-up .. i have traded my 5'10 SP for a 6'0 for the rare local session to reclaim my old hunting grounds, where i once commanded respect & the new 6'6 ADD is on the way .. dusting off my carve board ... my next trip i expect to have a comparative "advantage" over hedge fund managers, ferals, and local campesinos.

Cuttlefish,

no tats yet and, i still have a pretty good shock of hair .. i am going to hold off on your advice a bit longer ..

charge,

Arne

Comment

Ha ha...same here.
                    For my cheekiness I have been rewarded with a dormant ocean.
                    At least I was able to focus better on taking one of my daughters out for surfing lessons while it's been small.
                    The addvance will make life easier.
                    Great board.

Comment

Working...
                    X