Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'2" and 85kg.. Step down groveller..

Gday all..

Nice work on the awesome forum.. Hours of good reading..

Just getting into the firewires off conventional pu boards and so far loving every surf.. I'm riding a thin 6'2" Michel Bourez pro model at the moment but I'm looking for a replacement for a 5'11" x 20 x 2 1/2" JS sonic for my grovel beachie board

I've narrowed down to 3 - Dominator (508 or 510), El Fuego (511) or Sub Scorcher (600).

I have demod the El Fuego and loved it for front footed surfing blowing the tail and spinning reverses etc but the appeal of the rocker and top to bottom characteristics of the Dominator sound very appealing..

I would say I am an intermediate to advanced surfer..

Anyone around my height or weight ridden a 508 or 510?? I've been told to be careful not to go to long with the dominator and the 508 is a bit over a L more vol than my spartan where the 510 is 4.5L more..

Also anyone ridden the Sub? haven't seen much reviews on it in FST?

Cheers
    37S

No comment from me except to say if you're doing air reverses and tail blowing top turns you aren't an intermediate surfer.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Sub. If you're after something close to a shortboard but for good waves it's a great board.
      Dominator wise I think you'd be best on the 5'10". The 5'8" would float you know and if you want to keep minimal volume and maximise performance that could be a good call.

Comment

I reckon the 5'8" Dominator will be a good fun option for you

Comment

Cheers for the input lads.. I'm kinda amped on the dominator from everything I've read just was kinda hoping to push it down to 508 model.. Guess I'll have to see if naturals have demo in one of these sizes..

Comment

Thanks to all the replies so far frothing on the feedback would love to get down to the 508 but sounds like the 510 might be better suited.. Might have to chase up a demo in these sizes.. That sam dude in the uk surfshop you tube reviews rides a 508 Yeh? He must be over 80kg.. Could always go a 509 through CBD?

Comment

I'm really hoping to get down to the 508.. Anyone know what sort of weight Sam Lamiroy comes in at I keep watching the vid where he says that he normally rides a 6'3" and froths on the 508.

Comment

He's a unit. 85kg at least. He's a pro though and proper rips and doesn't really use it to much as a groveller. I've seen him out in overhead barrels on his 5'8" Spitfire taking off under the lip.
                I think you will be fine on the 5'8" though, I actually think you'd feel like the 5'10" is too much board.

Comment

Ive seen some kids doing airs reverses and all that, but cant do an old school heavy carving cutback. your style sounds real loose and light footed. Groveling wise Id go for the Activator, Dominator or the Spit fire depending on what tail you like.

Comment

True enough. I see kids at my local looking to the air when they're still struggling to consistently do a basic top turn.

Comment

Thanks for the input lads.. I'll now try get my hands on the little puppy.. Off to mentawais in 3 weeks the 602 spartan is gunna be put through its paces..

Comment

Have fun and bring back some pics

Comment

Iam 6'3 187 lbs my dom is 510. I ride this board 80% of the time here on the east coast. This board as a quad I can surf from knee high to head high beachbreaks. It goes insane, even in mushy knee high this board flys. I surfed my friends 600 dom to much board and a have sured a 508 which I could surf no problem but the 510 has been perfect balance. The 510 allows me to surf grovel mush and have ridden it in head high barrels. Dont go to small even tho you could go 508

Comment

Working...
                          X