X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing Help

I am 6'7" tall and around 200lbs. I surf in new england on a variety of waves including beach breaks to points and reefs. Wave size depends but usually waste to overhead. Waves are rarely super clean though and usually have some sort of bump on them. Its new england after all lol. I have surfed for about 5 years with random breaks in between for injuries or life. Plan on getting back into it and on every swell again. I also surf winters where the wetsuit can add a significant amount of weight. I would rate myself an intermediate I guess...idk?

I am looking for a board that is durable first and foremost as I am sick of ding up or pressure denting my fiberglass boards. I have mainly surfed 6'6" and 3" thick rocket fish/retro fish in the past in all wave conditions. However, I am looking for something that is more progressive and will let me advance into short boarding. I am comfortable in most new england wave conditions while riding my fish however I feel the long drawn out carves are getting stale for me and want something that will allow me to go more top to bottom. Also want something that is easier to ride in bigger surf as my fish just get way to much speed down the line and are difficult to grab a rail and check the speed in bigger conditions.

I feel like the dominator would be a good choice for the waves available to me and what I want to do with it. Do you guys agree? Also what size board would you recommend for me? Does my height affect the length of the board? I'd love to go a little shorter than my fish ton something like a 6'4" but am wondering if this will be too drastic of a change or not float me.

Dominator would be good, maybe the Activator if you want added control on the bigger days. I'd say you're in the 6'4" to 6'6" range.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      Dominator would be good, maybe the Activator if you want added control on the bigger days. I'd say you're in the 6'4" to 6'6" range.
      Do you think 6'4" would be floaty enough for me in the winter months when with a suit im probably around 220?

Comment

Havn't had a go on the Activator but I reckon you should consider the Spitfire as well as its got all the positive attributes of the Dominator plus more its performance driven and I think handles bigger waves better cause of the step down rail! Again 6'4 or 6'6, I ride a 6'6 for paddleability & don't find it to big but we are all different!

Comment

Sorry forgot to add make sure you go FST tech for added toughness & ding resistance!

Comment

6-4 Dominator or 6-5 Activator, that will be floaty enough

Comment

Agree with Fritzkat. 6'4" in a Dom should be ample. A 6'6" would be ok in smaller waves but would be more difficult to manage in head high plus surf. It'd still cover the bigger stuff, but not as well as a 6'4".

I'm heavier than you but more experienced and find the 6'4" has ample float for the smallest days, and surfs up to 1.5x overhead easily. I tend to prefer my Alt above head high though.

Comment

yeah fritz and buzzy, right there with you guys.

Comment

Working...
                X