X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominator step-up?

I currently ride a 5'6" Dom most of the time, issue is when it gets good or travel time it feels a little to small. I want to minimize time getting used to a different board. Was looking at the CBD and wondering if it I went to a 5'10" dom, but kept the width and thickness the same as the 5' 6" and pulled the tale as much as it will let me, if that would give me that step-up to handle overhead plus surf/travel to Central America? Or would that just ruin the best characteristics of this board.

Just a thought, trying to minimize transition time between boards, I know there will always be a difference somehow/someway.

North Carolina

I had a two board FireWire quiver, and it was great. I had an Alternator for good surf and a Dom for not so good. I never had any issues transitioning, particularly from Dom to Alt. I'd recommend those two boards for a perfect quiver with essentially no transition issues at all.

Comment

yeah C-Ray, I agree with Buzzy here. Believe it or not, the more you settle on a good wave board and a bad wave board and switch between the two, the easier the transition becomes.

I would highly suggest a better wave board, such as an alternator because "stretching" a model only goes so far and as much fun as the dominator is, its not a board designed for the better days. I think you and your surfing will get more out of a proper shortboard/good wave board...

Hope this helps you further!!

Comment

Also you could potentially look at the 5'10" Minnie Driver which will be close to the same volume as your 5'6" Dom, but more pulled in and with a little more rocker.

That said, in headhigh + barrels I'd still feel more confident on something like the Michel Bourez model than a stubby.

Comment

Yeah. So to kind of reiterate what both of us are saying, consider other options more explicitly designed for better surf rather than trying to stretch a smaller wave board to suit. I personally think you need more things changed on the Dominator than CBD gives you the power to control, so that is why i am encouraging the exploration of additional models.

Cheers

Comment

Agreeeeed

Comment

Maybe try a Hellfire if you want to ride only one board... I know the combo Control Alt+Dom seems to work perfectly as a 2 boards quiver but I just want to say I love and recommend my combo PNator + Hellrazor!

Comment

I was just pondering this the other day. It dawned on me the idea for the perfect Dom step up range. It's basically this; for any given Dom size stretch it out by 4 inches. At the same time narrow it by 0.5 inches. This will result in the nose and tail measurements coming down. Add some more rocker, particularly nose and tail rocker. Make the tail slightly more rounded pin that the present round tail. Bobs your uncle - a perfect compliment to the Dom, and the obvious step up point for Dom lovers for head high+ surf.

Just for illustration purposes a 6'2" x 20.75" x 2 5/8" Dom would transition to a 6'6" x 20.25" x 2 5/8" round tail/rounded pin step up.

Works for me.

Comment

Hey everyone, thanks for all the feedback. I like everyone's suggestions and totally understand different boards for different conditions. That's why I got 5 boards in the garage for just for that! Wife doesn't understand but I know we all do. Haha

I might still try the step up theory with buzzy's changes one day. it may be a success or a expensive mistake!

Comment

DOM + HELL FIRE... good combo, although I am now riding my Activator more than anything else.

Comment

classic c-ray.

i don't understand why my wife watches all these reality shows about picking out clothes... Apparently they are all different though. Its terrible when they are back to back too.

Comment

I like your thinking c-ray. I was considering the same with my Spitfire. I just don't do well with HPSBs. I have a the F1 for double overhead conditions but I don't surf well on it because it feels so long and pointy. Looking forward to using the Mini Driver.

Comment

that's a new one. The Domifire.

Comment

Just wondering about the 5'6 dom is it 2 3/8 or 2 5/16 thick on the website they say 2 3/8 for the 5'6 is that right?
                            Last edited by Bergie; 07-11-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Yeah the 506s are 2"3/8 but they def look thinner in the rails that the 508 at 2"3/8.

Comment

Working...
                              X