Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing for Double Agent as a groveller...

I love the look of the Double Agent, and I'm in the market for a groveller. I have a 5'9" Unibrow for the good days, so what size Double Agent? I'm 34, 76kg and intermediate level, but the volume calculator on the website always recommends me boards that are too big. Thanks!

I'd go for slightly more volume than your uni. It's supposed to be volumed similar to the potato series.

Comment

OK, the 506 is 29L, and the 508 is 31.3L, so would you think the 508 is the better board for grovelling? I'm thinking waist to shoulder-high...

Also, has anyone found any Double Agent reviews yet?

Comment

Honestly the 5'4 Double Agent should float you just fine if you are 76kg's. I ride a 5'4 dominator with less volume and it floats me good and Im 160 lbs.! Have you thought about getting the Nano as your grovel board? Once you ride a Tomo you will never look back, boards are amazing and make surfing a lot more fun! @Goodfish

Comment

Hey mdayton360, thanks for your input. A 5'4 would be my lowest volume board, and I'm not sure it would work for me as a groveller. Shouldn't a groveller be towards the higher limit of your volume spectrum? The Nano looks great, but is it a grovel board? I thought it's more high-performance...

Comment

I saw one of these in the shop yesterday. Such a crazy design. Tons of thickness and girth up front and incredibly thin in the back. Like, thinner than a HPSB. I have no idea what to expect from it. Looking forward to some ride reports.

Comment

Me too, especially a comparison with the BP

Comment

Sounds funky! Can't wait for the reviews to start coming in! I love a BP, but this looks funkier and cooler!

Comment

I sized up the nano, vanguard, and double agent in the store also at surf ride the other day. I am 205 and 6' and what I noticed was that the 6'2 nano that I would ride at around 37L felt much bigger - has a lot of volume around the chest so it probably paddles great, but thins out huge to the back - do to the volume around the chest it makes me think I could go even shorter and it would still paddle well - not sure but it seems that way. 5'10Nano had much less volume around the chest and the vanguard 5'10 had even less so paddle wise I like the double agent. Still hard to tell how responsive it would be compared to the nano or vanguard - would like to get some input on that to help me pick one. The 6'0 nano was close in the chest area to the 6'2 double, but it still seemed to have less area in that region.

Comment

I meant 6'2 double agent

Comment

I was about to pull the trigger on a BP but now this! It's got my interest as all of my FWs are in FST except the Vanguard. With that said, I am looking for a small weak wave board that performs better than the Sweet Potato. I bought a PotatoNator and can't get it to work. I've tried everything fin set-ups etc. but it seems to less performing than a SP especially when it comes to speed. It does handle chop and steeper waves better but overall it seem slow and unresponsive rides like my previous Dominator only slower. OK enough bashing that particular model. I think this looks pretty cool and the only compliant I have with SP is the tail. I tend to slide out a lot when i push through turns, that's to be expected though in gutless waves on a quad. I would be very interested in hearing any feed back from anyone who has ridden the SP and went o a BP and considering this new FW offering. Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Phill
                        Phill commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I found the BP slow compared to the sweet. I loved the Sweet and sold the Baked after a handful of lackluster sessions.
                        You can def push better turns on the baked though. I'd like a sweet with the bakeds foil.

• aurfalien
                        aurfalien commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not to counter Phil but I found the opposite and sold my SP for a BP and it flies. Both boards did me well however I feel the BP is a high performance version of the SP. But this is not the best place for this dialogue and think you may find more info on the BP/SP forums here.

• cuttlefish
                        cuttlefish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The potatonator...slow and un-responsive? Wash your mouth out!
                        What fins have you tried in quad or thruster?
                        Also what's your stats and the boards size?
                        Re: baked vs sweet.
                        I've found both sensitive to fin changes/sizes.
                        Get the right fin combo going for your sweet or baked and it can make a massive difference.
                        Many surfers will blame the board but often its simply not dialling in the fins.
                        For when I got my baked I was having moments of brilliance but without consistency.
                        Tried stacks of combos until I put in H2 large fronts and med H3 rears. Bingo. When its 3' or more and I want to ride it I use a knubster in the front thruster plug for more hold in the tail.

I'm still on a look out for a Double Agent review. Also, what would be the best quiver out of these three choices:

A) 5'9" Unibrow, 5'3" BP, 5'8" Double Agent
                      B) 5'9" Unibrow, 5'8" Double Agent, 5'7" Nano
                      C) 5'9" Unibrow, 5'3" BP, 5'8" Double Agent

I want a small quiver for small waves to around head and a half/double overhead...So far, the Unibrow works sweet in anything from shoulder-high to head and a half. The BP is my current groveller, but I can't choose between the Nano and the Double Agent...

Comment

• OceanMindedBoy
                        OceanMindedBoy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I don't know what to pick. I'm having a hard time between A and C

I vote A or C. Lol

Comment

Haha, I'm a retard. C should be Uni, BP, Nano...

Comment

I was thinking/reading a bit more on the Nano and it seems a performance board rather then a groveller. So it really overlaps with your Uni and could even replace it. So being the cheapo that I am, I'd suggest instead a 2 board quiv of;

Nano and BP.

Comment

• esteeb.
                            esteeb. commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This is the 2-board quiver I had in mind.
                        Working...
                        X