X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Agent Love

I feel after a few surfs on the Double Agent I should share the love.

Now I am obsessed with a certain board beginning in “v” and ending in “anguard” but putting that to one side for a minute, the Double Agent is one of the best most versatile boards I have surfed in years!!!

I grabbed a 5ft 8 demo and based on the other boards I am comparing it to (5ft 5 Baked, 5ft 8 Dom, and 5ft 10 Unibrow) the size felt perfect. I must admit on paper it was not a board I was really interested in, did not see where it would fit for me, but after surfing the DA all my misconceptions went out of the window. It is like Dan Mann took all the winning bits from the Dominator, baked potato, and Unibrow worked his magic and created one kick in the cobblers pocket rocket of a board, YEAH!!!!

I have surfed the board in UK waves, bit slack really, from knee high clean to head high onshore and yesterday shoulder high clean as a whistle left hand point waves. Had to get used to paddling a board with a pointy nose again, but after that, I would say the board catches waves equivalent to the Potato’s i.e. EVERYTHING but has the hold and precision of the Unibrow. That tail really does give you hold and control to play with. Not to mention the speed down the line and ease the board goes from rail to rail.

Totally unexpected was the size of the sweet spot on this board. Looking at the profile the last foot or so does pull into a quite narrow nose – but that puts loads of volume and surface area under the chest and feet. Due to the tail profile the board turns really easily so you can drive the board with both feet in the wax (back foot off the pad) and it still goes on a rail with ease. It’s as if the board is doing the hard work for you. Or on one wave yesterday as my legs went to jelly (in my 40’s and English we are not used to standing up for more than 10 secs at a time) stepped forward to the meat of the board and glided long board style along the point as the wave got smaller and smaller. I swear at the end the wave was ankle height and the double agent was still going!!! Obviously the sharpest most vertical turns are going to come with your foot over the fins – but don’t be scared to play around with this.

Quite hard to sum up, but I think the real magic is the board allowing you to surf in waves you may otherwise by gliding on. By that I mean the Potato range give you extra float and glide in subpar waves – whereas with the Double Agent it feels like you are doing full rail to rail critical surfing in subpar waves. I felt like I was able to do far better turns than both my surfing and the waves would normally allow.

I would feel comfortable taking the DA out in anything I would surf on a Baked Potato at one end to a Dominator on the other. Or if you wanted to get in early in bigger smooth point waves the sky would be the limit.

Love this board....

Definitely added as a keeper - the only board I have surfed in the last 7 months that would tempt me off the Vanguard (sorry to mention it again).

Cheers
    Roger
    http://www.boardshop.co.uk/brands/firewire.asp
    Last edited by boardshop; 04-02-2014, 07:10 AM.

Love the stoke!!

Comment

Fantastic review boardshop, thanks!

- FIJ

Comment

Cool review. How easily would you say that the DA catches gutless mushy waves ?

Comment

Originally posted by noa333 View Post
          Cool review. How easily would you say that the DA catches gutless mushy waves ?
          Hi Noa,

I have ridden the DA in gutless mushy waves in the Knee to chest High range and the board did catch waves with out a problem even with the bowl being crowded. I'm 150lbs 5'11" 42yrs fit and found the 5'4" DA worked good for soft waves. I would be temped to drop down a size if I was in warm water without a wetsuit.
          -Anthony

Comment

• noa333
            noa333 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks a lot for the info...

Yew! Great review, thanks! Mine is slowly making its way here...

Comment

Originally posted by boardshop View Post
            I feel after a few surfs on the Double Agent I should share the love. Now I am obsessed with a certain board beginning in “v” and ending in “anguard” but putting that to one side for a minute, the Double Agent is one of the best most versatile boards I have surfed in years!!! I grabbed a 5ft 8 demo and based on the other boards I am comparing it to (5ft 5 Baked, 5ft 8 Dom, and 5ft 10 Unibrow) the size felt perfect. I must admit on paper it was not a board I was really interested in, did not see where it would fit for me, but after surfing the DA all my misconceptions went out of the window. It is like Dan Mann took all the winning bits from the Dominator, baked potato, and Unibrow worked his magic and created one kick in the cobblers pocket rocket of a board, YEAH!!!! I have surfed the board in UK waves, bit slack really, from knee high clean to head high onshore and yesterday shoulder high clean as a whistle left hand point waves. Had to get used to paddling a board with a pointy nose again, but after that, I would say the board catches waves equivalent to the Potato’s i.e. EVERYTHING but has the hold and precision of the Unibrow. That tail really does give you hold and control to play with. Not to mention the speed down the line and ease the board goes from rail to rail. Totally unexpected was the size of the sweet spot on this board. Looking at the profile the last foot or so does pull into a quite narrow nose – but that puts loads of volume and surface area under the chest and feet. Due to the tail profile the board turns really easily so you can drive the board with both feet in the wax (back foot off the pad) and it still goes on a rail with ease. It’s as if the board is doing the hard work for you. Or on one wave yesterday as my legs went to jelly (in my 40’s and English we are not used to standing up for more than 10 secs at a time) stepped forward to the meat of the board and glided long board style along the point as the wave got smaller and smaller. I swear at the end the wave was ankle height and the double agent was still going!!! Obviously the sharpest most vertical turns are going to come with your foot over the fins – but don’t be scared to play around with this. Quite hard to sum up, but I think the real magic is the board allowing you to surf in waves you may otherwise by gliding on. By that I mean the Potato range give you extra float and glide in subpar waves – whereas with the Double Agent it feels like you are doing full rail to rail critical surfing in subpar waves. I felt like I was able to do far better turns than both my surfing and the waves would normally allow. I would feel comfortable taking the DA out in anything I would surf on a Baked Potato at one end to a Dominator on the other. Or if you wanted to get in early in bigger smooth point waves the sky would be the limit. Love this board.... Definitely added as a keeper - the only board I have surfed in the last 7 months that would tempt me off the Vanguard (sorry to mention it again). Cheers Roger http://www.boardshop.co.uk/brands/firewire.asp
            Left point!!??

Comment

• boardshop
              boardshop commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes mate, she was firing on Tuesday just gone. Pop in and I will explain more!! Cheers

Thank for the great review. Can you tell me what your stats are if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

• boardshop
              boardshop commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, no worries. I am 175 cm and 69 kg. But also 42 and getting slower. I also do like a bit of volume so may be easier to base it off my other fav boards (5ft 6 Vanguard, 5ft 8 Dom, 5ft 5 baked)

Cheers

Originally posted by GB Benny View Post
            Left point!!??
            Ahhh that "point".....I surfed by the lifeguard hut that day with about 50 SUPs!!!.......need a groveller now!!

Comment

Hey Roger,

That was you with the Nano review as well, correct? If you had to pick a one board quiver, which would it be?

Comment

• boardshop
                boardshop commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, Sorry for the late reply I have been away.

Yes that was me. I think either the Double Agent or the Nano could be seen as a one board quiver – but this is 100% dependant on the waves you surf. For example to surf where I live (South Coast UK) with mostly slack waves and thick wetsuits I would go with the Double Agent. I think that has a much better lower end than the Nano. Personally I feel the Nano comes into it’s own on the better days. But if you surf in waves with a bit of punch then the Nano would easily be a one board quiver. Probably more confusion than help.

Originally posted by boardshop View Post
              Due to the tail profile the board turns really easily so you can drive the board with both feet in the wax (back foot off the pad) and it still goes on a rail with ease. It’s as if the board is doing the hard work for you.
              Hi there,

I am bogging rail in my bottom turns. I believe I apply too much pressure to the front foot during a bottom turn. Do you think this board is suitable for people like me (having this problem) ?
              Currently i am riding the Spitfire which needs to be surfed off the back foot. Appreciate any kind of advise.

Thanks.

Comment

• boardshop
                boardshop commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I do. The DA obviously turns with the back foot planted at the back over the fins. However, the board does still instigate really good turns with both feet in the wax. Has to be down to the low profile sharp tail. However, always worth working on technique with regards to all surf basics. I am no surf coach, or ripper, but am a big fan of not over thinking surfing at a fun level. Check out clips of Occy’s bottom / top turn combo and go from there.

hi boardshop,

Thanks for giving a detailed explanation. Appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
              X