X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DA help

HI everyone... I posted in the Nano forum the other day. Thanks for all your help, I'll be placing an order for a VG soon, just deciding between the 600 and 602. Now I want a small wave groveller to go with it. The DA looks like just the ticket, but how big do I need it to be? My gut says a 604, but the volume "calculator" is telling me 606 or 608... Way too excessive (the 608).

My stats are 103kg, 193cm, intermediate, in the water a couple of times a week. Waves are mostly beachies between knee and head high.

size me up!

thanks in advance

Im similar height weight as you, if you go 6'2 VG go 6'8 DA. 6'0 vg go 6'6 DA. Also check out the SP/BP, you can ride those much shorter (sub 6ft) and they are a BLAST! Sizing on the DA wont be as crucial as on the VG. Dial in the vg (can you demo?) then select your DA based off that. If you are gonna grovel a few extra liters wont hurt especially if you wear a wetsuit/booties.

Comment

DA in 6'4 should be plenty I reckon. There's so much volume taken out of the tail that you don't need to add loads of volume with this shape imo.
      Last edited by Phill; 04-03-2014, 07:20 AM.

Comment

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        Phill- if he goes 6'2 VG at 43.5 ltrs he'll be "groveling" with a board that's got 2 ltrs less volume. I haven't ridden the DA yet (hope to soon) so can't speak to its performance vs volume, but my groveler is about 4 more ltrs than my perf hyb at jaydog's height/weight. At the end of the day Jaydog its about what kind of vol you prefer, Phill is a better source of info than I am and I do prefer extra volume as compared to others on this forum my height/weight. What vol are you currently riding?

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        In my view you wouldn't size the DA with all the extra volume that you would other Potato style boards. The refined tail section has to be shaving a few of litres off what the volume would be with a fat tail so a high percentage of the volume is in the front half of the board.
        If you stack on a lot of extra volume you won't take full advantage of the refinements this board has. If you just want a easy, cruisey groveller the potatos might be a better bet or just go big with the DA, but if you want to reap the performance benefits I wouldn't look at adding a huge amount of volume from your daily driver as the foam distribution, plan shape and rocker will already give you a better low end.

I haven't ridden one yet, but that's how I see the board. By all means take that with a grain of salt!

• BFILK
        BFILK commented
        Editing a comment
        Great insight Phill, I was definitely looking at it like a potato but like I said I haven't ridden one. Thanks for the reply
    Working...
    X