X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Both shaken AND stirred

Let me start off by just saying I am a beginner intermediate 49 yrs, 5'10 and currently 170lbs. My normal volume range is 30-33ltrs, surfing for a year and half and short(er)-boarding for about half that time. My other boards are a 5'10" UB and a 5'10" V2 rocket. I am hardly qualified to give an objective review of this board given my stats, be that as they may, perhaps to some there might be some insights to be gleaned from my newbie and subjective comments.
    After a long, long wait for the DA's to arrive in Hawaii, I got the call that they had finally landed in the shop. I promptly placed my 5'5" BP on CL and had it sold 3 hours later. Got good money for it and always felt it was too big for me anyway. Half a block from where I sold my BP, a brand new 5'8" DA was just waiting to rid me of my newly (but briefly) held BP equity. I took a little gamble on the groveling size by going 5'8" @ 31.2 ltrs from my 5'5"BP @ 36 ltrs but shortly found out I seemed to have nailed it (size wise at least, for my current ability).
    This morning I had it out in what has turned out to be our first decent south swell this year (Oahu), proper sets were 3-5 (Hawaiian) and if anything I thought I had brought the wrong board. But new board right, so what are you going to do? Paddling this board was cake, granted there was no wind and conditions were super glassy but I was quite stunned at the easy pace I covered my usual 1/4 mile paddle out, Paiko's for the 808 readers. Also moving around the lineup was super easy and efficient. I'd say at least the equal to the 5'5" BP, perhaps at little better. Catching waves was again super easy on the in between sets waves (2-3ft) breaking closer to the inside,this board will grovel and i look forward to seeing what it will do in 1-3 mush. When the proper set waves came through every 20min or so, I was able to paddle back out quickly enough to where they were breaking only to spin around at the last moment and catch late drops off the edge of the bigger A frames. On these later drops I was also surprised how forgiving this board was under foot. Many times I watched the bottom of the trough thinking the flattish rocker was going to just bury the nose, only to see the board come around into a blazing bottom turn. Perhaps the fairly short overall length, decent tail kick and forgiving foot placement helped me out here. As has been mentioned before, food placement did not seem super critical to getting the board on it's way but on those faster bottom turns I did find that if I did not have my rear foot well and truly back over the fins I would all to easily spin out. Lastly, I would also mention how fun this board is underfoot just going rail to rail even on the smaller waves, ever so playful and willing. Pretty decent glide as well at the trickling end of waves.
    Well that's it for now, long winded I suppose but can you tell how chuffed I am? My boardshorts are still damp as I type. I hope this might help others decide on board size and trust some of the other comments posted on this subject. I'd say most people would be more than satisfied with going middle of their normal volume range and yet still find a significant paddling/wave catching advantage.
    Too stoked to spellcheck!
    Last edited by LateBloomer; 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM.

Wow, great review LB, many many thanks! I think I know what my next board is.... :)

Comment

Thanks for the review, LateBloomer! Sounds like you had a lot of fun! My DA is on order, but I never thought a groveller was meant for 3-5 Hawaiian! Haha! Good stuff!

Comment

Late Bloomer. How did the volume and paddling feel compared to your V2. I am your age but have been surfing for 30+ years. And I weigh about 190. My normal volume range is 32-35. I am torn between the 5'8 @ 31.3 and the 5'10 @ 34.5. I also have the 5'10 V2 so that might be a good comparison. I was just wondering if its ok to under volume based on the volume distribution or slightly overvolume because of the tapered rails and tail? I will be using the board for waist high and below.

Comment

• aurfalien
          aurfalien commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sort of at the same predicament and leaning towards the 5'8". My ideal volume seems to be 32 but haven't surfed anything smaller in years. I'm also wondering if volume distribution make any diff in this case. Demos near me never have anything close to my desired size so its hard to even gauge.

The 5'8" DA paddles and catches waves much easier that my 5'10" V2. Think of it as having 80% of the V2's volume right under your chest, plus and extra inch and a half of width, plus a shit load more lift from those long deep conclaves. Yesterday evening I took it out again to a tiny beach break to see what the bottom end might be,( Bellows beach for the 808). The thing got going and went down the line on little 1 foot peelers, barely 2 foot faces!, while my 12 year old boy was having trouble drop-knee-ing his body board. Even on these tiny waves the board would still whip around and hit the foam ball. I think that in more capable hands than mine, someone my weight could easily get by w/ the 5'6". I have not had it out in mush yet nor fat lumpy high tide waves yet.

Comment

• aurfalien
          aurfalien commented
          Editing a comment
          Word! Thanks dude, I'm super appreciative.
      Working...
      X