X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypto Krypto Vs. DA

Can anyone compare the DA Vs. Hypto Krypto? I know the fst will be a lot stronger and it appears the DA thins out a lot more as well. Any ideas on performance etc...
    Thanks

From what I've seen of Ando ripping it up on a Hypto Krypto, that board can go in almost anything. He gets some insane waves with it on 'This Time Tomorrow' (great, great surf flick!). Also, check out him out on it in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKsndT5jyJk

I haven't surfed the DA yet (should arrive in a couple of weeks!), but all the reports and reviews I've gathered about it, say it's a true groveller. Shoulder-high and under...

Comment

Ando would make any board look good. Surfed my DA over the weekend and would say it is far more than a groveller. Took it out purely because of new board froth when it would have been at the time far more sensible to take out something else. Waves ranged from 3-5ft, shoulder to overhead plus. Sucky reef/slabs to wide open faces, all clean and glassy. Took everything in its stride and apart from a few nose ploughs, performed without fault. There was no hint of the tail wanting to slide and it would have still have felt comfortable with another couple of feet of wave. The rail bites in the barrel perfectly. It behaves precisely under foot and handles both wave power and rider power. The more weight and power I put into frontside roundhouse cutbacks/hacks, the better and smoother it felt. Probably the best hacks I have done. Speed was great on the face and it did not bog when trying to skirt around the flats in front of the foam. On open face shoulders where the steepness was lacking, it maintained enough speed to be able to keep continually attacking the shoulder whereas a lot of other boards you would have been concentrating on just keeping going. The nose with the double concave seems to work similar to the VG with you being able to feel the lift as you began the takeoff.
      This board would even be a good daily driver if it had a little more nose rocker. It was so much fun that I kept taking it out and leaving the VG in the bag. Going to be hard to decide between the 2 in anything up to overhead.
      Have not ridden the Hypto Crypto but looking at its shape/design, I think the DA would come out it front with its radical concave. Would be interesting to see how far the DA could be pushed. Probably not as high as the 8ft that is claimed with the Hypto but would go close as long as the takeoffs were not too intense. The crypto has a fairly flat nose rocker as well though.
      Don't under estimate the DA, there is a performance side to it, more than just a groveller.
      DA 6'4" 41.8 vol, FCS with Simon Anderson S25 Large - Quad. Me, 6'2" 90kgs, 55 yo
      Last edited by Denchy; 04-21-2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Not even in the same ballpark IMO. Hypto has a way higher top end from what I've seen. Ando rides his at green bush etc.... I'm sure the da has more lower end by a mile too.

Comment

I have both in 5'8.For sure you can push the DA until head high days sometines even a little big bigger and deppending on your ability and surf conditions and you may have a blast on it. On the other side as Phill said the Hypto its in an other league. They will "overlap" in the sense that you can surf both from ankle to head high days but in mt experience I would prefer to take to DA until head high and the Hypto on the slighty and bigger days. The DA is an extremelly fun, easy to surf board that you can push some performance, and it will shine until headhigh days, therefore I will save the Hypto for the bigger better days. You can feel that diference on the board demands just by looking at the boards lines. I guess it depends on the range of surf you want it to perform the most, thats why I got both because imo they cover the all spectrum of most of the daily waves...

Comment

Denchy, sounds like you really like the board :-)
            Curawong, which board paddles better? Are you riding the DA as a quad or tri? What are your stats? I had an SP at 5'6 but sold it for a mid sized Von Sol which I now use to get me into larger waves at open water breaks. I'm 53 and my arms need help after a hour in the water. Now I want a smaller board to rip on...The 5'6 SP was a bit corky....

Comment

Waxer, this is what Chris from Firewire told me about the DA:

"The way the foam is laid out, I actually find it to catch waves easier than my Potato and it has a higher level of performance because the tail is a bit narrower and thinner. When you are talking small gutless waves or punchy little beach break rippers, this thing is a blast. As always, keep in mind that it is a small wave board so when you take it out in head high surf you’ll feel like you are missing something but its manageable. Anything below stomach high and you are laughing."

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfish View Post
                Waxer, this is what Chris from Firewire told me about the DA: "The way the foam is laid out, I actually find it to catch waves easier than my Potato and it has a higher level of performance because the tail is a bit narrower and thinner. When you are talking small gutless waves or punchy little beach break rippers, this thing is a blast. As always, keep in mind that it is a small wave board so when you take it out in head high surf you’ll feel like you are missing something but its manageable. Anything below stomach high and you are laughing."
                Could'nt agree more. I've managed to surf the DA up to headhigh and it was heaps of fun but you ( as it was said) feel that its geeting out of its confort zone. Paddlewise the 31.3l DA takes me everywhere effortless and it gets small waves with ease. To be honest I feel that my 31l Hypto gives me the about the same paddle speed, maybe because both have most of the volume under the chest. But like I said I always prefer the DA for the smaller days and the Hypto for when its better and bigger. Bare in mind that a corky DA will take out all the performance"ish" factor if that is what your looking for. I'm 31, 82kg and in reasonable shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Curawong View Post
                  Bare in mind that a corky DA will take out all the performance"ish" factor if that is what your looking for.
                  I would totally agree with this. Even as a beginner intermediate, 49yrs, 77kgs, I am happy with my decision to go no bigger than my 5'8" DA. Still loving this amazing board, the only conditions I struggled with this board so far, have been very choppy, open ocean, disorganized wind swell. In very choppy seas, I have been struggling to move around fast enough to get into position.
                  Last edited by LateBloomer; 04-23-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X